To use Dictation, you need internet connection. Please make sure your connection is working.

Anonymous
2020-07-07T20:22:25+00:00

Hi

Users are getting the subject message when trying to use Dictate in Office 365 E3 subscription.

The internet is ‘working’, apps signed in with O365 accounts so there is seems to be either a security profile setting, proxy filter or firewall issue. A lot of searching and I found very little documentation on this message, and certainly cannot find a definitive answer as to what/if Dictation requires certain firewall ports open nor what security profile setting to check in GPO which may apply. 

The following TechNet article suggested reviewing O365 Org Settings and Privacy but anything relating to Speech seems fine.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/8111bb05-c674-4c43-a841-cae849b6a064/office-dictate-word-quotto-use-dictation-you-need-internet-connectionquot-specific?forum=Office2016ITPro

These options are managed by the organisation but where do I look in the Admin portal to enable Dictate?

Any pointers welcome.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-03-24T20:28:39+00:00

    I have exactly the same issue with dictation on Word. This has been around for a year pls fix!!!

    PS Feedback service needs a big rethink. Can't paste into the block so have to type #DictationInternetIssue . Also can't tick the screenshot option until I have dismissed the error message . 

    I am on a private laptop with all the latest updates and no proxy.

    Same connection works on MS with my husband's Mac.

    Pls fix this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-03-09T19:34:08+00:00

    Hi

    No, the workaround have no effect for me. I have sent some feedback reports just now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-01-04T20:09:38+00:00

    Hello and thanks for sharing your workaround - this issue is sometimes caused when one of our background services hasn't yet initialized, usually in a new blank document. Writing some text and running the Editor feature on the Home tab, or saving the file are a few options to workaround for now. We've also made a permanent fix that will prevent this issue from happening in the future. That should be in production in mid-February, and as always, Insiders will get it first.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-11-11T06:03:20+00:00

    hello, I am also facing the same issue and i am also unable to see the dictate option itself. I did use this feature at first but when i started the app yesterday , is did not show the option! Also when i tried to use shortcut (Alt and ` ) it says that to enable dictation you need internet connection which i have as you can see in the screenshot. Hoping a prompt reply. 

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-07-08T20:30:21+00:00

    Hi Sukie

    Thank you for your response. On checking the GPO location provided in the link I can confirm they are all set to default 'Not configured'. You advice does offer an interesting insight into the  management mechanism of Dictate.

    On further testing with a wider user group I have determined it is a web proxy filter blocking it. I use Forcepoint Web Security. When the endpoint is removed from a computer Dictate works, reapply is and it's blocked again. I have raised a support case with Forcepoint and Whilst I appreciate this is a non-Microsoft product, do you have any insight as to what exceptions maybe required to allow Dictate to bypass web proxies? For the sake of this post this might be useful is anyone else faces a similar issue.

    Best regards

    Lee

    Lee, I think this proxy issue has come up before for enterprise and Dictation - can you please send me an email (see profile) so I can try to help resolve this? If it works we can comment back on this forum post regarding how to fix it and think about official documentation.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments