To use Dictation, you need internet connection. Please make sure your connection is working.

Anonymous
2020-07-07T20:22:25+00:00

Hi

Users are getting the subject message when trying to use Dictate in Office 365 E3 subscription.

The internet is ‘working’, apps signed in with O365 accounts so there is seems to be either a security profile setting, proxy filter or firewall issue. A lot of searching and I found very little documentation on this message, and certainly cannot find a definitive answer as to what/if Dictation requires certain firewall ports open nor what security profile setting to check in GPO which may apply. 

The following TechNet article suggested reviewing O365 Org Settings and Privacy but anything relating to Speech seems fine.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/8111bb05-c674-4c43-a841-cae849b6a064/office-dictate-word-quotto-use-dictation-you-need-internet-connectionquot-specific?forum=Office2016ITPro

These options are managed by the organisation but where do I look in the Admin portal to enable Dictate?

Any pointers welcome.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-10-07T19:11:07+00:00

    I'm having the exact same problem - Dictation works Ok in Word, but will not work in Outlook and I get the same "you need internet connection". Microsoft Help Desk couldn't solve it - including reloading Outlook.

    Any ideas?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-09-22T17:01:19+00:00

    OK, glad to hear you're unblocked for now and sorry about the frustrations elsewhere.  Please let me know if you have any more issues with the dictation feature. 

    If you'd like to provide feedback on the other issues, you can submit those to the same place and they will be routed to the correct teams.

    -James

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-08-24T16:33:28+00:00

    Hi, I'm getting the same issue and am completely non-techy. I just want to keep using the Dictation in Outlook and Word. It sounds like it's a firewall issue but is that what has been determined yet? If, so is there instructions on where I would look (I'm assuming the firewall is with my ISP) and how to fix it? 

    Thanks for the help,

    Rick 

    Hey Rick! Just to confirm, you are getting the issue on your personal and not company device where an admin may have blocked it? When you try dictation, you for sure do have an internet connection but have the same error? Feel free to email me more about your situation [see my profile] and we can try to figure this out as the rest of this thread was aimed for admins. Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-08-23T18:11:30+00:00

    Hi, I'm getting the same issue and am completely non-techy. I just want to keep using the Dictation in Outlook and Word. It sounds like it's a firewall issue but is that what has been determined yet? If, so is there instructions on where I would look (I'm assuming the firewall is with my ISP) and how to fix it? 

    Thanks for the help,

    Rick

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-07-09T07:39:36+00:00

    Lee, I think this proxy issue has come up before for enterprise and Dictation - can you please send me an email (see profile) so I can try to help resolve this? If it works we can comment back on this forum post regarding how to fix it and think about official documentation. 

    Hi Emily - email sent as requested.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments