To use Dictation, you need internet connection. Please make sure your connection is working.

Anonymous
2020-07-07T20:22:25+00:00

Hi

Users are getting the subject message when trying to use Dictate in Office 365 E3 subscription.

The internet is ‘working’, apps signed in with O365 accounts so there is seems to be either a security profile setting, proxy filter or firewall issue. A lot of searching and I found very little documentation on this message, and certainly cannot find a definitive answer as to what/if Dictation requires certain firewall ports open nor what security profile setting to check in GPO which may apply. 

The following TechNet article suggested reviewing O365 Org Settings and Privacy but anything relating to Speech seems fine.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/8111bb05-c674-4c43-a841-cae849b6a064/office-dictate-word-quotto-use-dictation-you-need-internet-connectionquot-specific?forum=Office2016ITPro

These options are managed by the organisation but where do I look in the Admin portal to enable Dictate?

Any pointers welcome.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-07-09T16:21:04+00:00

    Did anybody have any luck with this. I am experiencing the same issue for my remote desktop clients.

    Works fine on local pc's but on remote we get the 'To use Dictation, you need internet connection' error. Powerpoint works fine as does Outlook.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-05-14T19:18:58+00:00

    If this would help....

    My Office Dictate worked fine until today. I had fibre installed today and switched over to my new ISP. Immediately Dictate began showing this message "to use Dictation you need an internet connection...", while my internet was working, of course, and actually much improved. Reading through these answers I simply closed Word (365) and restarted it and it was fine. I'm not suggesting this is a cure-all, but it seems the techies are still scartching their heads. Phew, glad I'm sorted...

    All of the best!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-04-01T14:27:03+00:00

    I'm on version 2102 and have the same problem.  Powerpoint works correctly.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-03-10T09:07:15+00:00

    Also, it works fine in PowerPoint.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-03-09T15:45:14+00:00

    Im on 2102 and still have the same issue as everyone else here.

    Thank you for reporting. Whenever you experience this issue, could you please select Help > Feedback (or click the Smile in the top right) and choose "I don't like something". Please include #DictationInternetIssue and check the box to attach logs as it can help us find the feedback and investigate.

    For now, are you able to get around the issue by saving the file or running Editor from the Home tab?

    Apologies again for the inconvenience.

    James

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments