Office PP 2013 - Setup bootstrapper has stopped working

Anonymous
2013-03-23T18:25:19+00:00

I have downloaded the Office Pro Plus 2013 ISO from the download page and when I try to install it, it show me the first screen saying that the setup is preparing and then I get the error message "Microsoft Setup Bootstrapper has stopped working". Could anyone help?

I have also read this article, but I do not have Citrix installed: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/officeitpro/thread/88a6f422-0bac-4d0d-8279-95c5afbbc95a/

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-09-01T17:55:51+00:00

    Due to a crashed HD I had to replace it and reinstall OS and programs.

    I ran into the bootstrapper issue / error 1603 installing Office PP 2013. Spent all day to find a solution, but all the good advice did not work for me. Even downloaded a trial version from Microsoft, but that did not install either, with the same error ID.

    So I started over. Installed Office right after Windows 7. No issue whatsoever.

    When I experienced the problem, I had only a few essentials installed: Firefox, Avast Antivirus, Ccleaner, Defraggler. And all the Windows updates.

    You may want to consider twice before you "spent weeks trying to outwit the bootstrapper error". I am happy I only lost a day over it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-08-31T13:51:37+00:00

    I have spent weeks trying to outwit the Bootstrapper error. 

    There are so many threads dealing with this. So it is hard to know where to put the solution that, finally, worked for me.

    I tried many of the suggested solutions but none seemed to work in my situation.  In the end I found some hints which I pursued and everything finally came right today.

    My installation was Office 2010 on a Windows 8.1 Pro computer.

    First of all I downloaded the ISO of the Office 2013 install disk.  I mounted this within Windows so it appeared as drive D.  I suspect that I could have continued using an install disk but I didn't.

    Then I ran the FixIt that I located at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301  I opted for installation problems. Office 2013 wasn't listed as an option in the programs I wanted to install so I selected Not Listed. This found some minor issues which I fixed.  This was a new FixIt which appeared relatively recently.  I didn't find this in my early attempts to fix the error.

    I also took a look at the Local Security Policy settings.  I temporarily amended the Software Restriction Policies | Additional Rules so that %AppData%\.exe      %AppData%\\.exe %LocalAppData%\.exe   and   %LocalAppData%\\.exe were all set to unrestricted I set these back after the installation was complete.

    Finally I disabled the PrintSpooler in the Services panel.

    I can't say which combination of the above was necessary but all these things together finally allowed me to install Office 2013 without the Bootstrapper error.

    At the end a reboot is suggested.  This restarts the PrintSpooler and dismounts the ISO.  Just reset the Local Security Policies.

    Hope this could work for you...

    Andrew

    I've cross-posted in two separate threads in an effort to share my experience in the most relevant locations...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-07-27T16:57:58+00:00

    Hi.

    I have tried all the steps and didn't work.

    Any other suggestion?

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-07-03T20:27:40+00:00

    I found these links to be quite helpful!

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office\_2013\_release-excel/cannot-install-office-2013-error-microsoft-office/e73faec4-3d6c-4a95-b610-4510a6011a55?page=2

    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/1e1c9bec-425a-4b2c-a1db-ad1c92121806/wmi-failed-to-connect-to-local-computer-on-win-7-error-code-0x8007007e

    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/repairwmi.htm

    What I found was that I had to remove all Office products using the add/remove programs or Programs and Performance from control panel.  In my case,  that meant removing Microsoft Office Professional 2010,  Microsoft Project 2010, and Microsoft Visio 2010.

    I do not reboot if it asks.  I suspect it would not hurt to reboot but I do not.

    Without rebooting I followed the steps outlined in the 3 above links but in a nutshell:

    Run CMD.exe as administrator

    Enter these commands:

    net stop winmgmt

    CD "%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem\Repository"

    DEL %SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem\Repository\*.* /q

    cd %windir%\system32\wbem

    for /f %s in ('dir /b *.dll') do regsvr32 /s %s

    for /f %s in ('dir /b *.mof') do mofcomp %s

    wmiprvse /regserver

    net start winmgmt

    EXIT

    I tried to put this in a batch file but for some reason Windows does not like the syntax of the "For" commands  even though the system runs the commands correctly if typed in or copied and pasted.  At any rate,  once the above commands are done (it took up to 15 minutes to rebuild the MOF file on several computers where I had this problem so do not get impatient.

    Once the above is done then I could run the Office 2013 Setup/installer and installed Office and then run the Project installer and they were installed and worked.  This is a very round about way to accomplish an upgrade.  We had many computers that got the Bootstrapper error and yet not all computers had the same image so the same install.  If I failed to remove all Office products then I could not get Office to install without the Bootstrapper error if I initially got that error when trying to do an upgrade.

    So far this little routine has not failed me but your mileage may vary.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-06-06T03:31:21+00:00

    Stop using pirated copies...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments