anluis' "The easiest way" worked for me! Yea! Kudos to anluis. The random success and failure of recommended fixes is baffling.
Happy New Year!!
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
So just recently today, I keep getting this message when I try to find album info for songs in my WMP. It says "500 - Internal Server Error. There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed" in the display box where I'd normally browse to find the album information.
I've never seen this message pop up before, and I was adding songs to my library like two days ago with no problems, so what's up with it right now? And more importantly, is there anything I can do to fix it?
I should also add that it seems to do this randomly, and even for songs that I already have added in my library. Clicking "find album info" on some songs will bring up the proper display, and others will give me that error message. So yeah, I haven't a clue what's up with this thing and I'd really appreciate a fix sometime soon.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
anluis' "The easiest way" worked for me! Yea! Kudos to anluis. The random success and failure of recommended fixes is baffling.
Happy New Year!!
key words - Windows Media Player, find album info, not working, 500 error
Subject - How to update Album Information without using the dialog box
I think most of us when we rip a music cd or audiobook follow a procedure such as found in this web link
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-xp/help/windows-media-player/11/album-info
We click on "Find Album Info" in order to bring up the Find Album Information dialog box so that we can make changes to the Album, Artist, and Genre and track number.
Note : The Find Album Information dialog box looks like this
http://s3.amazonaws.com/ssi-article-images/windows/win8/win8-ripping-a-cd-2.jpg
Lately instead of getting this image, we get a Find Album Information dialog box with error message
Server Error
500 - Internal server error.
There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed
The evidence from this error indicates fai.music.metaservices.microsoft.com
is unaccessible.
Personally I don't understand why Microsoft support can't figure this out, but there is an obvious workaround to those of us who simply want to rip a cd and put it on an mp3 player with the correct tag information.
My work around is change the Album, Artist, and Genre and track number by bypassing the Find Album Information dialog box (which is very limited in my view since it only allows 99 tracks). Try doing this instead.
Go to Library -> Music -> Album.
Assume the cd you want to edit is called "Unknown album (4/19/2014 5:25:38 PM)" with an Artist "Unknown" in this example.
Right click on the title and rename it to the correct Album name. I choose "Test1". The Artist is still currently "Unknown".
Next go to Library -> Music -> Artist
Rename "Unknown" to the correct name of the Artist, I choose "Test1_Artist"
Next go to Library -> Music -> Album
Verify that the Album is now "Test1 and the Artist is now "Test1_Artist".
Double Click on Test1 and change the track numbers and the track titles to whatever you want.
Next go to Library -> Music -> Genre
Rename "Unknown" to the correct genre, I choose "Audiobook".
Do this to every CD that you are trying to merge into one large Audiobook with sequential track numbers. Rename each Album to the same name so that it merges into one giant audiobook. Add it to sync list and sync the audiobook to your attached mp3 player. Viola. No need for the Find Album Information dialog box.
If you have XP Try This:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-xp/products/windows-media-player/11/readme
It didn't rollback for me so I am uninstalling and reinstalling 10 if I can.
I'm glad I'm not the only one with this issue! I spent over two hours on the phone with HP and they're trying to tell me I have a virus or malware or something on my computer after I've run three separate virus/malware scanners on my computer and there's nothing that comes up. They're completely useless and frustrating. I hope an answer shows up on here soon.
What really irks me is that I spent two days trying to fix the problem created by MS. All of the recommended fixes on the web were for naught. I believe this happened after I installed a MS Security update. I tried restoring to several different dates, all to no avail. For the waste of my time, I am partly to blame because it was not until utter frustration set in, that I used another of our computers and experienced the same ----.