Windows Media Player 500 Internal Server Error

Anonymous
2014-09-22T01:20:32+00:00

So just recently today, I keep getting this message when I try to find album info for songs in my WMP. It says "500 - Internal Server Error. There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed" in the display box where I'd normally browse to find the album information.

I've never seen this message pop up before, and I was adding songs to my library like two days ago with no problems, so what's up with it right now? And more importantly, is there anything I can do to fix it?

I should also add that it seems to do this randomly, and even for songs that I already have added in my library. Clicking "find album info" on some songs will bring up the proper display, and others will give me that error message. So yeah, I haven't a clue what's up with this thing and I'd really appreciate a fix sometime soon.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-12-31T21:59:35+00:00

anluis' "The easiest way" worked for me! Yea! Kudos to anluis. The random success and failure of recommended fixes is baffling.

Happy New Year!!

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-09-25T17:37:44+00:00

    This is happening to me too. I think the people at Microsoft did break something.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-09-24T17:30:41+00:00

    I tried Microsoft FixIt and that did not solve the problem. In FixIt there is a WMP troubleshooter. It reset WMP and it reset the Media Library. Then, FixIt showed issues found:

    Your CD/DVD player is not recognized.

    Scripting registration is corrupt.

    Reset WMP.

    WMP Library.

    Settings for Windows Media Network Streaming are corrupted.

    Then, a green checkmark appeared to the right of each of the above, along with the notation "Fixed" .

    Then, I received a message that opened WMP and it gave me the option to choose Recommended Settings or Custom Settings. I chose the Recommended Settings.

    After all of this, the problem persists. Ugh.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-09-24T16:50:43+00:00

    Ditto on all of the above. When I select "Find Album Information" I receive the message "500 Internal Server Error" and no other information. Can someone please help solve this problem?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-09-24T13:50:55+00:00

    I've just started to receive the same message - looking forward to a fix

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments