Cannot enable streaming in Windows 7.

Anonymous
2009-10-20T20:20:50+00:00

When I click on the button "Turn on media streaming", it becomes grayed out for a second but nothing happens. The streaming is not enabled and the button still says "Turn on media streaming". I searched forums and came across people with the same issue but no fixes.

I went through steps suggested in this thread: Unable to turn on media streaming . I booted with all non-essential services disabled, that didn't help.

I have Windows 7 Ultimate RTM.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-10-21T16:37:06+00:00

If you have set the Stream dropbox to 'allow other devices..." and they still won't stream, you either have a faulty device driver or you have corrupt system files. I would uninstall and reinstall Media Player, and the Media Center. There are checkboxes for that. Click Start, and type 'turn windows features on and off'. You need to uncheck, apply, restart windows, recheck, and apply, restart again.


Rating posts helps other usersMark L. Ferguson MS-MVP

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2010-11-05T20:54:17+00:00

    Tried every thing here and any other I've been able to find on the internet. What a crock. And they talk about how great it is. It is just like everything else Microsoft programs. You spend more time trying to get it to work than you will every spend using it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-10-03T07:37:26+00:00

    Hello, I had this problem for a while and just seemed to have fixed it.  Like someone said here I went into Windows Firewall, and I restored defaults, then turned on streaming and it took like 2 minutes, but it worked!  Hope this helps.

    And in second thought after I hit okay once it takes me to the streaming options... it doesnt work again, nothing happens and I am back at the start.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-07-22T01:16:51+00:00

    One easy question, how do you uninstall Windows Media Player in Windows 7?  Other posts I have read said this can't be done.  Also since I'm here, has ANYONE ever made any progress with "windows media player network sharing service has stopped working" caused by a hardware upgrade?  The advice to revert back to the old hardware is particularly vexing as this will certainly make the error message go away, along with all other aspects of personal computing if you get my drift.  Thanks.....

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-04-10T16:53:24+00:00

    Having the same problem, my media sharing suddenly turned off. Watched a movie yesterday afternoon, and with nothing on that night, figured I'd watch another one. Did absolutely nothing to the PC in between, but it worked in the aft and suddenly wasn't working hours later.

    So.

    Windows 7:

    Have tried the clean boot method. Media streaming still won't turn on. Click button, machine thinks about it, says 'nahh', button returns to normal state, media streaming is not enabled.

    Un-installed and re-installed both WMP and WMC through the windows feature. Once I had re-installed, I was able to turn media sharing on. Alas, it didn't seem to take. As now the button won't turn on, and my xbox still can't see my PC. And my button went back to permanently non-enabled about 60 seconds later when I hit it again.

    Have enabled all WMP and WMC in/out features on Windows Firewall.

    I'm out of ideas. I know my network is fine, and I can stream stuff to the xbox just fine using a 3rd party program like TVersity. It works. No clue why WMP suddenly decided to stop working, but I'm not too happy about it.

    Any other suggestions out there?

    Edit: forgot to mention, but the WMP sharing service seems to he starting then stopping automatically. Erm, not stopping, but waiting?

    UPNP and SSDP are both up and running...when I hit start on the WMP sharing service, here's the popup I get:

    "The WMP Network Sharing Service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs."

    That doesn't seem normal to me. Once it starts, it should...stay started. Heh.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments