Cannot enable streaming in Windows 7.

Anonymous
2009-10-20T20:20:50+00:00

When I click on the button "Turn on media streaming", it becomes grayed out for a second but nothing happens. The streaming is not enabled and the button still says "Turn on media streaming". I searched forums and came across people with the same issue but no fixes.

I went through steps suggested in this thread: Unable to turn on media streaming . I booted with all non-essential services disabled, that didn't help.

I have Windows 7 Ultimate RTM.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-10-21T16:37:06+00:00

If you have set the Stream dropbox to 'allow other devices..." and they still won't stream, you either have a faulty device driver or you have corrupt system files. I would uninstall and reinstall Media Player, and the Media Center. There are checkboxes for that. Click Start, and type 'turn windows features on and off'. You need to uncheck, apply, restart windows, recheck, and apply, restart again.


Rating posts helps other usersMark L. Ferguson MS-MVP

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-08-17T02:58:04+00:00

    Hello, I had this problem for a while and just seemed to have fixed it.  Like someone said here I went into Windows Firewall, and I restored defaults, then turned on streaming and it took like 2 minutes, but it worked!  Hope this helps.

    And in second thought after I hit okay once it takes me to the streaming options... it doesnt work again, nothing happens and I am back at the start.

    It did it for me,disabled the firewall and it worked!Thanks a lot !

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-04-02T19:05:31+00:00

    Worked for me so thanks so much for posting! I had downloaded Norton Anti Virus with a built in program which allows it to control Windows Firewall. After doing your suggestions I turned off the Norton control and just used Windows Firewall like before and voila it is working for me! Thanks Ron1948az!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-05-22T12:53:07+00:00

    Damn...I tried all the other horse shi7 here and this worked. 

    Thanks Todd.

    Hank

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Barb Bowman 80,820 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2014-05-19T16:53:57+00:00

    On Mon, 19 May 2014 14:59:05 +0000, cjkz wrote:

    |It is set to Home or Work (Private) Networks.

    This thread goes back to 2009. Have you tried any of the fixes in replies such

    as enabling all the default exceptions in the firewall? Are you running any

    third party AV/firewall products or were they ever installed?

    __________________________________________________________________________________________________

    Barb

    Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP

    My Blog - http://digitalmediaphile.com/

    Barb's Connected World Blog Reader Windows 8 App -

    http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/app/barbs-connected-world-blog/02f35769-52bf-461c-b1d5-06e54a58d298

    Windows and Surface Community Reader Windows 8 App

    http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/app/windows-and-surface-community/0abb150e-d287-47d4-837e-9fa51f485ad7

    Please mark as answered if this answers your question

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments