Cannot enable streaming in Windows 7.

Anonymous
2009-10-20T20:20:50+00:00

When I click on the button "Turn on media streaming", it becomes grayed out for a second but nothing happens. The streaming is not enabled and the button still says "Turn on media streaming". I searched forums and came across people with the same issue but no fixes.

I went through steps suggested in this thread: Unable to turn on media streaming . I booted with all non-essential services disabled, that didn't help.

I have Windows 7 Ultimate RTM.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-10-21T16:37:06+00:00

If you have set the Stream dropbox to 'allow other devices..." and they still won't stream, you either have a faulty device driver or you have corrupt system files. I would uninstall and reinstall Media Player, and the Media Center. There are checkboxes for that. Click Start, and type 'turn windows features on and off'. You need to uncheck, apply, restart windows, recheck, and apply, restart again.


Rating posts helps other usersMark L. Ferguson MS-MVP

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2011-07-09T17:04:52+00:00

    I found a solution to this error to connect Windows 7 to my PS3.  Go to the start menu, type "service.msc".   In the window that pops up, scroll down until you get to "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service".  Mine was set to "disabled".  I double-clicked on it and switched it to "automatic".  I was then able to go back in to Windows Media 12 and select "Automatically allow devices to play my media" from the Streaming dropdown.  That time it took and I have been able to access from my PS3.

    Let me know if that works for anyone.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-07-09T03:27:51+00:00

    Hello, I had this problem for a while and just seemed to have fixed it.  Like someone said here I went into Windows Firewall, and I restored defaults, then turned on streaming and it took like 2 minutes, but it worked!  Hope this helps.

     

    And in second thought after I hit okay once it takes me to the streaming options... it doesnt work again, nothing happens and I am back at the start.

    Exactly what happened to me, I could turn it on, then it was turned off automatically, magically.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-06-21T03:15:42+00:00

    Try this link: http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/598484-sharing-service-wont-start/

    I had the same issue with absolutely no solution but I found this and it seems to have worked:

    go to a command prompt and type

    net localgroup administrators NetworkService /ADD

    DONE! (hopefully)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-06-15T00:12:51+00:00

    When I click on the button "Turn on media streaming", it becomes grayed out for a second but nothing happens. The streaming is not enabled and the button still says "Turn on media streaming". I searched forums and came across people with the same issue but no fixes.

    I went through steps suggested in this thread: Unable to turn on media streaming . I booted with all non-essential services disabled, that didn't help.

    I have Windows 7 Ultimate RTM.

    Tried all options available onthe internet. Still not working for me! Any help is appreciated.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments