Cannot enable streaming in Windows 7.

Anonymous
2009-10-20T20:20:50+00:00

When I click on the button "Turn on media streaming", it becomes grayed out for a second but nothing happens. The streaming is not enabled and the button still says "Turn on media streaming". I searched forums and came across people with the same issue but no fixes.

I went through steps suggested in this thread: Unable to turn on media streaming . I booted with all non-essential services disabled, that didn't help.

I have Windows 7 Ultimate RTM.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-10-21T16:37:06+00:00

If you have set the Stream dropbox to 'allow other devices..." and they still won't stream, you either have a faulty device driver or you have corrupt system files. I would uninstall and reinstall Media Player, and the Media Center. There are checkboxes for that. Click Start, and type 'turn windows features on and off'. You need to uncheck, apply, restart windows, recheck, and apply, restart again.


Rating posts helps other usersMark L. Ferguson MS-MVP

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2011-02-15T07:21:12+00:00

    I had this exact problem as well but I found out how to fix it on my pc so here's my solution.  Hope it works for everyone else.

    My initial problem was that my xbox couldn't stream content from my Win7 pc.  Windows media center streaming worked however so I knew it was something wrong with Windows Media Player.  After lots of searching I found out that if I created a new User the streaming worked fine.  I used process of elimination to determine there is a set of files that need to be deleted in order to fix the problem.  Here's what to do:

    1. open services.msc and Disable "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service"
    2. Go to the following hidden folder:

      C:\Users&lt;user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player     (where <user> is the the account you're logged in as)

    1. Delete all the contents of this folder
    2. Open Windows Media Player 12 and head to Stream -> Turn on Media Streaming

    It should work now.

    So in short my problem had something to do with some application files that existed within Media Player itself.  Hope this fix works for others too.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-11-10T23:31:12+00:00

    I dont mean to be a bother about it, has this issue been resolved yet? i see checked answers, but no comments indicating any answers met any sort of definite resolution.  I have similar issues with my Win7 PC and have searched days for a solution.  Whats the scoop here?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2009-12-03T03:30:07+00:00

    I was trying to work through this problem, and came upon the following action, which may have fixed it.  I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate as well, and I had disabled the firewall.  I enabled it, and additionally, activated all of the exceptions for inbound and outbound.  Immediately after this, the button which turns on media sharing worked.  It may have been as simple as enabling the firewall.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2009-11-25T09:26:34+00:00

    I have the same problem, that when I click on the button "Turn on media streaming", it becomes grayed out for a second but nothing happens. The streaming is not enabled and the button still says "Turn on media streaming". I searched forums and came across people with the same issue but no fixes.

    I went through steps suggested in this thread: Unable to turn on media streaming . I booted with all non-essential services disabled, that didn't help.

    I have Windows 7 Ultimate.

    A clean boot with all third party startup and service features disabled does not change the situation.

    I noticed using "services.msc" that the "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service" ist not "Started".

    When I try to start this service manually, I obtain the error message

    Windows could not start the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service on Local Computer

    Error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly

    I have a second problem with windows services, namely with the "Windows Mobile-2003-based device connectivity" service

    which also does not start. When I try to start this service manually, I obtain the error message

    Windows could not start the Windows Mobile-2003-based device connectivity service on Local Computer

    Error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly

    Does anybody have an idea what could be broken?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments