Syncing a shared folder in OneDrive to File Explorer - 2024

Anonymous
2024-06-16T18:27:06+00:00

How do I sync a shared folder in OneDrive to File Explorer? There is no longer a sync button. Was there a recent update? The folder was previously accessible via my File Explorer and is no longer there. I still have access to the shared folder via the online url. I can add a shortcut to My Files, but that only adds a shortcut to the online url. I am currently on Windows 11.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-07-05T17:38:27+00:00

    I also can not save a file from a desktop app to a shared OneDrive folder. Must save to desktop then open shared folder in the browser then copy the file from the desktop. What a PAIN!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-07-05T11:11:20+00:00

    Have a look at my response. More or less there seems to be a difference between "add this folder as a shortcut to My Files" which just adds a shortcut and "add shortcut to My files" which adds in the expected way.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-07-04T11:17:09+00:00

    I think I have found a work around. This is what worked for me on Mac and PC.

    At the client delete the http shortcut in OneDrive online web interface by selecting the shared folder and then remove.

    Now reshare the folder you want to share at the primary user. Not sure if you need this step (or the previous) but make sure you share with specific people and not anybody with the link.

    At the client login to OneDrive online and go to shared. DO NOT click on "add this folder as a shortcut to My Files" to the right. Instead open the folder by clicking on it. Now click at the top click on "add shortcut to my files"

    Although this seemed to work the day I posted, it seems like this is not a solution. Some of the buttons in the web interface have also changed since. In my testing since I have seen the shared folder sync correctly, but as far as I can tell it's totally random and mostly you will just get a redirect URL rather than a synced folder. In some cases, it will be correct for one family member and wrong at another and so it seems to be related to each user who "adds a shortcut to My Files". It seems the process of "adding" randomly adds a URL or Synced folder.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-06-28T17:28:27+00:00

    Carlos,

    Will Microsoft be refunding me the prorated amount when they finally fix this issue?  So far, we have been down almost a month, that is a month of my having to manually load and upload items so my coworkers and I can work together.  If this continues for another say month, I believe I am due a refund for 2 months that the product did not work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-06-27T22:07:19+00:00

    Microsoft,

    Can we get an update on the correction of this issue? We cannot sync a shared folder to File Explorer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments