Folders Shared with me are syncing as internet shortcut in OneDrive on Windows PC

Anonymous
2024-06-08T04:53:55+00:00

Hi. I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. The account is logged into a windows pc and every files including the folders shared with my were syncing fine until yesterday. Yesterday night the shared folders were completely removed from the Windows pc and folders are replaced with internet shortcut. This is such a big mess. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, changing the location of OneDrive on my windows pc and tried to get a new folder shared to my account and adding it to OneDrive. Nothing works so far. OneDrive has a big part in my daily activities. Please help me resolve this.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T06:07:22+00:00

Here is the statement from the Microsoft OneDrive product group (Redmond USA) about the OneDrive Personal problem:

***This is related to a backend migration we are doing and unfortunately, we don’t fully support syncing shared folders in the case where one user has migrated and the other has not. We’re doing everything possible to accelerate things so that it can be resolved as soon as possible for users of the feature. When the accounts are migrated, there is automated logic that makes them go back to a syncing folder within several days.***I have heard, that shared Folder issue is gone.
The best thing is: WAIT and do nothing

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3,079 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-03-04T04:34:16+00:00

    Which cloud platform is best for collaborative sharing

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-03-04T03:44:58+00:00

    This is an extremely serious issue from Microsoft, or perhaps they don’t even consider it a bug. However, this problem has a significant impact on anyone using OneDrive, especially in enterprise environments. My company switched to a different cloud platform after encountering this issue a year ago.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-03-04T03:30:47+00:00

    I've been affected by this today and it has torpedoed my entire workday trying to identify it then fix it. I tried adding the new network locations but couldn't get past the authentication. Now I'm reading this and hoping this gets fixed tomorrow or I will be forced to move onto another cloud provider. It's too important to be able to share files without going having to use links.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-03-04T02:04:35+00:00

    When OneDrive folders turn into URLs, they become unusable.

    This issue has occurred several times.

    I've been creating new MS IDs to continue using OneDrive, but it's very inconvenient.

    Over the years, I've encountered the same problem about ten times.

    I found that Microsoft is aware of this issue, but it hasn't been resolved for years.

    Please find a solution as soon as possible.

    Thank you!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments