Folders Shared with me are syncing as internet shortcut in OneDrive on Windows PC

Anonymous
2024-06-08T04:53:55+00:00

Hi. I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. The account is logged into a windows pc and every files including the folders shared with my were syncing fine until yesterday. Yesterday night the shared folders were completely removed from the Windows pc and folders are replaced with internet shortcut. This is such a big mess. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, changing the location of OneDrive on my windows pc and tried to get a new folder shared to my account and adding it to OneDrive. Nothing works so far. OneDrive has a big part in my daily activities. Please help me resolve this.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T06:07:22+00:00

Here is the statement from the Microsoft OneDrive product group (Redmond USA) about the OneDrive Personal problem:

***This is related to a backend migration we are doing and unfortunately, we don’t fully support syncing shared folders in the case where one user has migrated and the other has not. We’re doing everything possible to accelerate things so that it can be resolved as soon as possible for users of the feature. When the accounts are migrated, there is automated logic that makes them go back to a syncing folder within several days.***I have heard, that shared Folder issue is gone.
The best thing is: WAIT and do nothing

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3,079 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-03-04T01:36:08+00:00

    The issue is fixed looks like you just need to go to the shared folder on browser again ang click create folder shortcut on my drive.. then voila....

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-03-04T01:20:11+00:00

    Same here. Had to "downgrade" to go back to our previous plan as well.

    They also tried to change my country to charge me more, since my original plan is in Canada but I am currently physically in Europe, very odd behavior since my billing is all Canadian.

    I noticed the issue affects large folders that make me blow up my 1 TB limit and that OneDrive App removed my local copy of my own "self shared" files from a secondary account while trying to reupload them by creating the same folders with the machine's name at the end.

    That would surely not work, since I'd not have enough space, then I am almost sure I'd be presented with a pop up upselling extra TB for a fee.

    I have my subscription, like many others, because of the cloud services. Otherwise, we can just use open source alternatives for free.

    Funny the problem didn't affect small folders shared with me that only have a handful of GB each. Only the three largest ones that have a few GB were "converted".

    I tried disconnecting my account and re-adding it while using the same location, since removing the shares and reinviting didn't work.

    Two folders I reinvited myself to showed up on the folder selection, we'll see what happens now, OneDrive is processing almost half million changes, as I readded my account, so it might take me days to see any changes. Hopefully I can get ahold of my files again and update my usb hard drives, good thing this failed, so we remember that backups are our best friend. 🙏🏻

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-03-04T00:25:52+00:00

    Same version of One Drive and it is causing issues on One Mac laptop but not another Mac Laptop. All my windows computers on same share appear to be working. Just the macs are not working. Going to wait until someone claims there is a fix.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-03-03T23:59:15+00:00

    Merhaba. Aynı sorun bende de var. Paylaşımdan gelen klasörler tarayıcı üzerinden açılıyor. Yerel klasör olarak kullanamıyoruz. Bunun acilen düzeltilmesi gerek.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments