Folders Shared with me are syncing as internet shortcut in OneDrive on Windows PC

Anonymous
2024-06-08T04:53:55+00:00

Hi. I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. The account is logged into a windows pc and every files including the folders shared with my were syncing fine until yesterday. Yesterday night the shared folders were completely removed from the Windows pc and folders are replaced with internet shortcut. This is such a big mess. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, changing the location of OneDrive on my windows pc and tried to get a new folder shared to my account and adding it to OneDrive. Nothing works so far. OneDrive has a big part in my daily activities. Please help me resolve this.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T06:07:22+00:00

Here is the statement from the Microsoft OneDrive product group (Redmond USA) about the OneDrive Personal problem:

***This is related to a backend migration we are doing and unfortunately, we don’t fully support syncing shared folders in the case where one user has migrated and the other has not. We’re doing everything possible to accelerate things so that it can be resolved as soon as possible for users of the feature. When the accounts are migrated, there is automated logic that makes them go back to a syncing folder within several days.***I have heard, that shared Folder issue is gone.
The best thing is: WAIT and do nothing

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3,079 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-03-03T09:54:51+00:00

    This is frustrating. Same problem here. Since last year (I don’t remember exactly when), a colleague encountered this bug but didn’t pay much attention to it since she doesn’t work much with shared folders. Last Friday, another colleague mentioned the same issue—links instead of actual folders for shared data in OneDrive. Today, two more colleagues and I are experiencing the same problem.

    I don’t know if Microsoft is trying to push us toward Google Drive, Dropbox, or some other service, but this is ridiculous—especially considering that the issue has been going on for nearly a year! Seriously?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-03-03T09:48:15+00:00

    Same issue happening again. My other colleagues are facing this one by one- seems to be an update containing a bug.

    Extremely exhausted working on links. Need to be resolved ASAP

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-03-03T09:47:29+00:00

    Maybe. And maybe it will work in the long term. But in the immediate term, Microsoft has deleted a load of files from my local hard drive and made them available on-line only. I have an immediate need to re-download all my files so that I can access them online.

    I cannot speak for Microsoft's bandwidth, but it's putting a sever strain on mine that wasn't there before Microsoft sabotaged me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-03-03T09:46:44+00:00

    Same issue happening again. Faced it one by one on many colleagues PCs. Is there any solution?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments