Folders Shared with me are syncing as internet shortcut in OneDrive on Windows PC

Anonymous
2024-06-08T04:53:55+00:00

Hi. I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. The account is logged into a windows pc and every files including the folders shared with my were syncing fine until yesterday. Yesterday night the shared folders were completely removed from the Windows pc and folders are replaced with internet shortcut. This is such a big mess. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, changing the location of OneDrive on my windows pc and tried to get a new folder shared to my account and adding it to OneDrive. Nothing works so far. OneDrive has a big part in my daily activities. Please help me resolve this.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T06:07:22+00:00

Here is the statement from the Microsoft OneDrive product group (Redmond USA) about the OneDrive Personal problem:

***This is related to a backend migration we are doing and unfortunately, we don’t fully support syncing shared folders in the case where one user has migrated and the other has not. We’re doing everything possible to accelerate things so that it can be resolved as soon as possible for users of the feature. When the accounts are migrated, there is automated logic that makes them go back to a syncing folder within several days.***I have heard, that shared Folder issue is gone.
The best thing is: WAIT and do nothing

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3,079 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-03-03T09:45:15+00:00

    So in summary, as I understand it:

    They've known about this issue since last June and have been working 'diligently' to fix it but nine months later have no idea when they will complete the fix.

    They've just deleted all the local copies of the files from my hard drive.

    But its OK because they've kept their own copy and I can still access it when I'm connected to the internet.

    These are files that I actually had on my own hard drive that I am now compelled to connect to the internet and ask Microsoft to let me access them.

    And presumably my continued ability to access the files that Microsoft has deleted from my own hard drive and kept on theirs is contingent upon my continuing to pay Microsoft money on a regular basis.

    My feeling is that a 'service' that allows the 'provider' to delete my own files from my own hard drive and then to require payment to allow my any further access to them represents an unacceptable risk.

    For so long, Microsoft has been badgering me to 'back up' my files to One Drive. It turns out the reality is I need to back up my files FROM One Drive.

    The best solution I have been able to find is to go out and buy some off-line storage.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-03-03T09:44:39+00:00
    • The issue has been going on since June 2024

    .

    Although the problem started being massively reported in June, there is at least one report in May, and a possible report in February.

    ...showing up as link in file manager ...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-03-03T09:22:22+00:00

    But that it was first reported in June 2024 and is still ongoing speaks something. It seems they did recently deliver a wave 2 of the same cancer to more users xD

    100% agree that it's pathetic that it's been going on for so long.

    My main account is one of those that got hit with wave 2 of this bug.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-03-03T09:15:39+00:00

    But that it was first reported in June 2024 and is still ongoing speaks something. It seems they did recently deliver a wave 2 of the same cancer to more users xD

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments