Folders Shared with me are syncing as internet shortcut in OneDrive on Windows PC

Anonymous
2024-06-08T04:53:55+00:00

Hi. I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. The account is logged into a windows pc and every files including the folders shared with my were syncing fine until yesterday. Yesterday night the shared folders were completely removed from the Windows pc and folders are replaced with internet shortcut. This is such a big mess. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, changing the location of OneDrive on my windows pc and tried to get a new folder shared to my account and adding it to OneDrive. Nothing works so far. OneDrive has a big part in my daily activities. Please help me resolve this.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T06:07:22+00:00

Here is the statement from the Microsoft OneDrive product group (Redmond USA) about the OneDrive Personal problem:

***This is related to a backend migration we are doing and unfortunately, we don’t fully support syncing shared folders in the case where one user has migrated and the other has not. We’re doing everything possible to accelerate things so that it can be resolved as soon as possible for users of the feature. When the accounts are migrated, there is automated logic that makes them go back to a syncing folder within several days.***I have heard, that shared Folder issue is gone.
The best thing is: WAIT and do nothing

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3,079 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-03-02T23:15:10+00:00

    I didn't see this post and made another post (OneDrive shared folder shortcut stopped working as expected - Microsoft Community) by accident, so sorry for cross posting.

    I was playing around with it and observed the following:

    Where Icon When clicked
    Web Image Opens the folder in the same explorer window and shows list of contents.
    Windows Image Opens the browser and navigates to the OneDrive page and says "InvalidResourceId".
    iOS Image Opens the folder in iOS app and shows subset number of files. The folder has 37 items but iOS only shows 4.

    Hope this helps with the investigation.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-03-02T21:34:44+00:00

    Hello,

    We had the same issue here. Everything was working properly until Feb 28 2025. When I turn on my laptop that morning, all my shared files ( the ones shared to me, not the one I created and then share) were gone from Windows File Explorer. When I finally found them, they were internet link. And finally, to discover that I can no longer modify a file shared with me even if all setting say that I am allowed to modify.

    After many research, we found out that Microsoft has been having problem with this for over 6 month. So obviously this is not an easy fix.

    **** EASY SOLUTION ***

    We install Google Drive, Desktop Version. The App appear directly in Microsoft File Explorer. All file owner shared their file again via Google Drive. Working like a charm.

    So we keep OneDrive for all files that are not shared and we now use Google Drive for all shared files.

    Hope this can help!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-03-02T20:24:24+00:00

    Here is a workaround I am using that will show your shared folder in Explorer.

    Hopefully it is a help to some people while we wait for a fix.

    Map OneDrive as a Network Drive: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-BqJwDaxdI

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-03-02T19:53:18+00:00

    **** is going on here? How am I supposed to generate a PDF file to our family's shared folder now?

    This is a joke, and not even a funny one.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments