Folders Shared with me are syncing as internet shortcut in OneDrive on Windows PC

Anonymous
2024-06-08T04:53:55+00:00

Hi. I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. The account is logged into a windows pc and every files including the folders shared with my were syncing fine until yesterday. Yesterday night the shared folders were completely removed from the Windows pc and folders are replaced with internet shortcut. This is such a big mess. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, changing the location of OneDrive on my windows pc and tried to get a new folder shared to my account and adding it to OneDrive. Nothing works so far. OneDrive has a big part in my daily activities. Please help me resolve this.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T06:07:22+00:00

Here is the statement from the Microsoft OneDrive product group (Redmond USA) about the OneDrive Personal problem:

***This is related to a backend migration we are doing and unfortunately, we don’t fully support syncing shared folders in the case where one user has migrated and the other has not. We’re doing everything possible to accelerate things so that it can be resolved as soon as possible for users of the feature. When the accounts are migrated, there is automated logic that makes them go back to a syncing folder within several days.***I have heard, that shared Folder issue is gone.
The best thing is: WAIT and do nothing

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3,079 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-03-03T02:20:28+00:00

    The mapped drive doesn't show shared folders so not a work around.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-03-03T02:04:46+00:00

    OneDrive Support please help!
    This same problem started happening to me over the last 48 hours. Top level Shared folder apprears in Windows 10 & 11 File Manager. Seleting the folder then launches the sub folder in a browser. Have reset onedrive via wsreset.exe and %localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\onedrive.exe /reset, also deleted and reloaded latest Onedrive app, selected "always keep on this device" option from within Windows file manager (righ click on onedrive folder). but still launches Onedrive shared subfolders in a browser.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-03-03T00:38:41+00:00

    So brain's trust (ie not MS), what is the longer term solution? Google drive? icloud? other? I need help as I cannot continue without knowing when the fix may occur. If they could provide a date or approx, I could live with it for a short time, but if there is simply no fix in sight and it has been going on/off since 2021, then I have no option but to move across to another cloud server. Shame, as I had the onedrive process locked and loaded and it worked exactly for my needs until this happened.

    Anyone speak to anyone official at MS?

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/fixes-or-workarounds-for-recent-issues-in-onedrive-36110213-f3f6-490d-8cb7-3833539def0b?WT.mc_id=365AdminCSH_Smc

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-03-02T23:53:41+00:00

    Instead of downloading OneDrive is an ancient version online, it is best to download the latest version of Office and let it install the latest version of OneDrive for the license you have because 9 months ago, Microsoft split OneDrive into two versions: The OneDrive for home and personal use and the OneDrive SharePoint for business use you cannot have a usual download of a folder between the two different versions. But once you have installed OneDrive again and it is working on both machines, the folder not sharing correctly needs all of its permissions removed from the drive and then removed from OneDrive. Then, you want to go into the web version of the drive and create a folder with unrestricted rights to share with the other person. I do recommend rebooting your machine at this point the receiving computer you will click only one time to download the folder from the web version of OneDrive will not show up immediately; reboot the computer in this folder should now be downloaded on the other computer that you can see from Windows Explorer on the machine sharing the data all the data that was inside the folder can now be placed in the new folder on the one drive from Windows Explorer do not overwrite the file with the original root folder or it will make it act up again after you get everything out of it I recommend deleting it permanently

    There was a version of OneDrive in the office that messed this up currently on both versions if you are fully patched up on Windows 10 or 11 and have checked inside the application under account, hit the update button, and have the latest version, you should not have any more issues if you follow these steps I've done this thousands of times and it has worked every time.

    The machines I've looked at that this is not worked on is usually something is not up to date or the file is moved out of the OneDrive before permissions were removed. Our move to another location in OneDrive which prevents it from being able to create a fresh folder I create a folder on The Root Drive of C and call it old OneDrive and this is where I move everything when I'm working on it depending on how many times people have tried this you may need to clean out the multiple tries that are in the trash can in the OneDrive in the online version

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments