Folders Shared with me are syncing as internet shortcut in OneDrive on Windows PC

Anonymous
2024-06-08T04:53:55+00:00

Hi. I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. The account is logged into a windows pc and every files including the folders shared with my were syncing fine until yesterday. Yesterday night the shared folders were completely removed from the Windows pc and folders are replaced with internet shortcut. This is such a big mess. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, changing the location of OneDrive on my windows pc and tried to get a new folder shared to my account and adding it to OneDrive. Nothing works so far. OneDrive has a big part in my daily activities. Please help me resolve this.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T06:07:22+00:00

Here is the statement from the Microsoft OneDrive product group (Redmond USA) about the OneDrive Personal problem:

***This is related to a backend migration we are doing and unfortunately, we don’t fully support syncing shared folders in the case where one user has migrated and the other has not. We’re doing everything possible to accelerate things so that it can be resolved as soon as possible for users of the feature. When the accounts are migrated, there is automated logic that makes them go back to a syncing folder within several days.***I have heard, that shared Folder issue is gone.
The best thing is: WAIT and do nothing

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3,079 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-02-28T18:20:26+00:00

    This solution work only with MS products

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-02-28T18:13:59+00:00

    I don't blame you for leaving MS over this issue, but there is an effective workaround for sharing Office documents:

    Starting from OneDrive's web interface, navigate to the shared folder and click on the three dots to the right of the document name. Select "Open" then "Open in App". The appropriate Office desktop program will then open for your document, with all of the features you want, including auto save (you might need to click "enable editing" at the top). If you become disconnected from the Internet while the document is open, your changes will be saved locally until you reconnect.

    It's a not perfect workaround --- for example, you can't open a document while disconnected from the Internet --- but it gets me 90% of what I need, albeit with a couple of extra navigation steps through the browser.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-02-28T17:56:08+00:00

    The credentials are those of the receiving user. With these credentials, the receiving user can only access his own files, including the folder shared with him. I do not see a security issue here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-02-28T17:44:33+00:00

    RaiDrive

    RaiDrive

    RaiDrive

    I use it and I can still use OneDrive now shared with 20 other PCs.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments