Folders Shared with me are syncing as internet shortcut in OneDrive on Windows PC

Anonymous
2024-06-08T04:53:55+00:00

Hi. I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. The account is logged into a windows pc and every files including the folders shared with my were syncing fine until yesterday. Yesterday night the shared folders were completely removed from the Windows pc and folders are replaced with internet shortcut. This is such a big mess. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, changing the location of OneDrive on my windows pc and tried to get a new folder shared to my account and adding it to OneDrive. Nothing works so far. OneDrive has a big part in my daily activities. Please help me resolve this.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T06:07:22+00:00

Here is the statement from the Microsoft OneDrive product group (Redmond USA) about the OneDrive Personal problem:

***This is related to a backend migration we are doing and unfortunately, we don’t fully support syncing shared folders in the case where one user has migrated and the other has not. We’re doing everything possible to accelerate things so that it can be resolved as soon as possible for users of the feature. When the accounts are migrated, there is automated logic that makes them go back to a syncing folder within several days.***I have heard, that shared Folder issue is gone.
The best thing is: WAIT and do nothing

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3,079 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-02-28T17:43:19+00:00

    Having the same problem right now. It worked perfectly yesterday (27.02.25), today (28.02.25) the folders are all URLs...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-02-28T17:34:03+00:00

    I do not work for Microsoft I am an independent consultant that does work on Microsoft products for people and I just shared my experiences here please note when dealing with Excel there is a setting within excel in the web version and the local version to determine where you will excel to open up a web or local version this is completely programmable in the software under settings so you can program the computer to open up an online cell document in the local Excel program instead of the web first this does require a reboot after making the changes to take effect but I have several companies that use this but do similar and we have it working to where they do not have issues and everybody is working off the same copy and the permissions are correct for the users.

    I was ready frustrated also when these issues first began and they were some issues of office and windows did cause some issues but if both are fully updated to the latest service patches and security patches all of the issues have been fixed. I do recommend if someone installs a patch that they make sure the receiving in also installs the same patch I do know there are two office says that cause issue and there are two Windows updates that cause issues but all of these have been fixed so for this the work correctly everything has to be fully patched up and that does include the dot net also

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-02-28T17:24:47+00:00

    This is not a good solution. In case you add network address.

    When you provide the login details you share all your onedrive data (not only that folder) and on that PC is possible to open any your data on onedrive.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-02-28T17:21:43+00:00

    To Everyone commenting. Thank You. I have had multiple people attempt to contact Microsoft directly for a solution, or at a minimum a real update. To no avail, YET. Please keep the people following this thread updated with both positive and negative results. Hopefully a real solution will present itself shortly.

    I have multiple shared folders from multiple clients. And ONE folder is now shared properly, not a link. Not sure how that was accomplished, but I am working on it. There is only one file in it, but it is shared and stored locally and properly synced when they make a change.

    I will keep this thread updated as changes happen.

    Thank You.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments