Folders Shared with me are syncing as internet shortcut in OneDrive on Windows PC

Anonymous
2024-06-08T04:53:55+00:00

Hi. I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. The account is logged into a windows pc and every files including the folders shared with my were syncing fine until yesterday. Yesterday night the shared folders were completely removed from the Windows pc and folders are replaced with internet shortcut. This is such a big mess. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, changing the location of OneDrive on my windows pc and tried to get a new folder shared to my account and adding it to OneDrive. Nothing works so far. OneDrive has a big part in my daily activities. Please help me resolve this.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T06:07:22+00:00

Here is the statement from the Microsoft OneDrive product group (Redmond USA) about the OneDrive Personal problem:

***This is related to a backend migration we are doing and unfortunately, we don’t fully support syncing shared folders in the case where one user has migrated and the other has not. We’re doing everything possible to accelerate things so that it can be resolved as soon as possible for users of the feature. When the accounts are migrated, there is automated logic that makes them go back to a syncing folder within several days.***I have heard, that shared Folder issue is gone.
The best thing is: WAIT and do nothing

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3,079 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-02-28T11:21:59+00:00

    Agree ,
    I have had this issue since June last year.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-02-28T11:20:18+00:00

    Same problem here. Please fix it now!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-02-28T10:34:28+00:00

    we have to make noise. This is not normal, it is a disaster for everyone. Please fix it now!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-02-28T10:25:40+00:00

    This happened to more accounts i have, but only on one PC!!

    All the accounts are using 2025-02-14.014 on OneDrive website and I can see that the shared folder works on OneDrive website - it shows the folder size.

    On the PC that stopped working i had the update to OneDrive app for Windows to v25.020.0202.0001 on the 18/02/2025 - but the problem just started last night 27/02/2025.

    On my other PC running OneDrive v25.015 the issue didn't manifest so far - however the contents of the folder were deleted do recycle bin, but the folder is still a shared folder, not a URL link.

    I'm reinstalling OneDrive v25.015 on the affected PC, although i don't think this is going to fix anything.

    I think there are several issues with OneDrive - this inconsistency is driving me nuts - shared folder are being created as URL links even on OneDrive website and on local files, this is very bad and is making loose precious time!!

    EDIT: I can confirm it happened of the other PC running OneDrive v25.015 - after OneDrive finished syncing the folder became a URL shortcut 😢

    EDIT 2: I can confirm shared folders are working fine in the Android app - this makes no sense!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments