Folders Shared with me are syncing as internet shortcut in OneDrive on Windows PC

Anonymous
2024-06-08T04:53:55+00:00

Hi. I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. The account is logged into a windows pc and every files including the folders shared with my were syncing fine until yesterday. Yesterday night the shared folders were completely removed from the Windows pc and folders are replaced with internet shortcut. This is such a big mess. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, changing the location of OneDrive on my windows pc and tried to get a new folder shared to my account and adding it to OneDrive. Nothing works so far. OneDrive has a big part in my daily activities. Please help me resolve this.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T06:07:22+00:00

Here is the statement from the Microsoft OneDrive product group (Redmond USA) about the OneDrive Personal problem:

***This is related to a backend migration we are doing and unfortunately, we don’t fully support syncing shared folders in the case where one user has migrated and the other has not. We’re doing everything possible to accelerate things so that it can be resolved as soon as possible for users of the feature. When the accounts are migrated, there is automated logic that makes them go back to a syncing folder within several days.***I have heard, that shared Folder issue is gone.
The best thing is: WAIT and do nothing

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3,079 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-02-27T08:53:49+00:00

    I just got this workaround and it works as a temp solution until Microsoft fix the issue. I Hope you find i useful.

    Hi marky,

    Thanks for visiting Microsoft Community.

    The issue of OneDrive shared folders turning into shortcuts in File Explorer is a known problem that remains unresolved. However, based on information gathered from the community, there is a temporary workaround for Windows:

    First, log in to onedrive.live.com via a web browser. In the root directory of the folder shared with you, select any Office document, click the three dots - Open - Open in app.

    In the opened Office application, click File - Home. You can see the shared file you just opened under Recent. Right-click it and choose "Copy path to clipboard."

    Open Windows Explorer, find "This PC" on the left, right-click and select "Add a network location." In the "Add Network Location Wizard," click Next, then click "Choose a custom network location."

    Paste the copied file path into the input box, and delete the file name portion (for example, if the path you copied is https://d.docs.live.net/xxx/xxx/ABC.xlsx, you should delete ABC.xlsx and keep the preceding part).

    Then, enter your OneDrive account username and password in the pop-up window, set a name for your folder, and click Next to complete the creation.

    At this point, you can directly access your shared folder in "This PC" in File Explorer. There may be some delay, but this can serve as a temporary workaround while waiting for the issue to be fixed.

    Hope this helps.

    Best Regards,

    Jonathan Z - MSFT | Microsoft Community Support Specialist

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-02-27T08:50:31+00:00

    That looked like a possible route for a fix and I had seen a similar posting about this. I've just checked my two accounts, each on a different PC and both are _2025-02-14.014 so that is folder sharing between two accounts at the same version not working.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-02-27T08:34:58+00:00

    I don’t think so. If you had followed the thread as long as I have, you would see that people with business accounts are having the same problem.

    In my case, for example, I have three accounts in my family group, and two of them can share files between each other, but not with the third one. It happens to me since August last year

    I think it is a server-related problem. Accounts on the same server can share files as a folder, but not with those on a different server.

    I also assume that they started migrating accounts again around February 24th, which is why we are seeing so many new people here now.

    My hope is that they will finally complete the migration to the new server in the next few weeks and that it will start working again for all of users. It would be great to have a statement from Microsoft, though.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-02-27T08:20:35+00:00

    Hello, its been more than 6 months and this problem still exists and heavily impacts our daily business. We already switched to a different cloud provider but many of our customers need OneDrive. I kindly request an update on the issues, as it is ongoing for so long! Any shared only appears as URL, this is no small bug!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments