Folders Shared with me are syncing as internet shortcut in OneDrive on Windows PC

Anonymous
2024-06-08T04:53:55+00:00

Hi. I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. The account is logged into a windows pc and every files including the folders shared with my were syncing fine until yesterday. Yesterday night the shared folders were completely removed from the Windows pc and folders are replaced with internet shortcut. This is such a big mess. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, changing the location of OneDrive on my windows pc and tried to get a new folder shared to my account and adding it to OneDrive. Nothing works so far. OneDrive has a big part in my daily activities. Please help me resolve this.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T06:07:22+00:00

Here is the statement from the Microsoft OneDrive product group (Redmond USA) about the OneDrive Personal problem:

***This is related to a backend migration we are doing and unfortunately, we don’t fully support syncing shared folders in the case where one user has migrated and the other has not. We’re doing everything possible to accelerate things so that it can be resolved as soon as possible for users of the feature. When the accounts are migrated, there is automated logic that makes them go back to a syncing folder within several days.***I have heard, that shared Folder issue is gone.
The best thing is: WAIT and do nothing

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3,079 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-02-26T21:55:18+00:00

    Someone has found a temporary fix for this issue please see the post

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/we-have-fix-to-onedrive-shortcut-on-file-explorer/f1cc520d-4954-499d-b80c-75133ee8da69

    Really ??? First of all this solution is for IT Gurus... (ok I may be able to do it, however there are millions of users, that can't. And secondly, I am not even sure that it's gonna work...!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-02-26T21:43:36+00:00

    I've been recently affected by this on Monday. I'm having this issue with my Family edition of Office365 I'm apart of.

    Is this affecting anyone with Office 365 Business Edition? I'm trying to figure out if it's isolated to Personal/Family or all Editions.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-02-26T21:31:30+00:00

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/folders-shared-with-me-are-syncing-as-internet/6abc9383-6072-4562-b4fa-370c4ea8ce49?page=52
    ...

    I tried a reversed sharing and it worked!!

    Instead of sharing from the main account where we have all the information, i shared a folder from the previous "destination" account to the previous "sending" account and it worked!! This won't solve my problem, but maybe it can help someone to mitigate their issues with this problem.

    I also noticed that on the accounts that have NO "Search" on options the sharing experience is different from the accounts that HAVE "Search" on options, and i now think the accounts that have NO "Search" on options are the NEW ones, keep reading...

    About the versioning, i wondered if the OneDrive site had any kind of version, so i investigated the page source and i found different versioning between the accounts, here are some examples:

    Account currently sending the shared folder:
    https://res-1.cdn.office.net/files/odsp-web-prod_2025-02-07.009/odclightspeedwebpack.manifest/plt.listviewdataprefetch.js https://res-1.cdn.office.net/files/odsp-web-prod_2025-02-07.009/odclightspeedwebpack.manifest/186.js

    Account currently receiving the shared folder and not working as it should: https://res-1.cdn.office.net/files/odsp-web-prod_2025-02-14.011/odclightspeedwebpack.manifest/plt.listviewdataprefetch.js
    https://res-1.cdn.office.net/files/odsp-web-prod_2025-02-14.011/odclightspeedwebpack.manifest/188.js

    Notice the different versioning? I think this is what is causing the issues:
    1. Folder sharing between same versions - WORKS

    2. Folder sharing from new version to old version - WORKS3. Folder sharing from old version to new version - DOESN'T WORK

    I really hope this is useful to help fix the issues!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-02-26T21:14:56+00:00

    Chiming in to second this; lost file explorer access to work shared folders today. Can only access them through a web browser which means I can't save directly into client files anymore.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments