Folders Shared with me are syncing as internet shortcut in OneDrive on Windows PC

Anonymous
2024-06-08T04:53:55+00:00

Hi. I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. The account is logged into a windows pc and every files including the folders shared with my were syncing fine until yesterday. Yesterday night the shared folders were completely removed from the Windows pc and folders are replaced with internet shortcut. This is such a big mess. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, changing the location of OneDrive on my windows pc and tried to get a new folder shared to my account and adding it to OneDrive. Nothing works so far. OneDrive has a big part in my daily activities. Please help me resolve this.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T06:07:22+00:00

Here is the statement from the Microsoft OneDrive product group (Redmond USA) about the OneDrive Personal problem:

***This is related to a backend migration we are doing and unfortunately, we don’t fully support syncing shared folders in the case where one user has migrated and the other has not. We’re doing everything possible to accelerate things so that it can be resolved as soon as possible for users of the feature. When the accounts are migrated, there is automated logic that makes them go back to a syncing folder within several days.***I have heard, that shared Folder issue is gone.
The best thing is: WAIT and do nothing

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3,079 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-02-26T10:54:36+00:00

    Microsoft - when is this going to be fixed? this bug has reduced our productivity.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-02-26T10:53:55+00:00

    Any news on this, I have this issue since 24th Feb 2025. I'm thinking of cancelling my subscription if this goes on any longer. This thread is from 2024 and 8 months have past.

    Hello. It's the same for me today on 3 computers. It's downright ridiculous because you can see that Microsoft doesn't give a damn about users since the problem has existed since 2024 and is still recurring.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-02-26T10:40:42+00:00

    Any news on this, I have this issue since 24th Feb 2025. I'm thinking of cancelling my subscription if this goes on any longer. This thread is from 2024 and 8 months have past.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-02-26T10:06:23+00:00

    I have same Issue I think.
    Suddenly all the files shared with me turned into shortcuts. And I can't access them directly. While I was fiddling with this, I accidentally hid the files shared with me in the shared section on the OneDrive web page. Now I can't make them visible again. I know they were shared with me. When I search in the search section, I can see the files. But only in the search section of the web page. They are neither in the shared folder nor in the OneDrive desktop application.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments