Folders Shared with me are syncing as internet shortcut in OneDrive on Windows PC

Anonymous
2024-06-08T04:53:55+00:00

Hi. I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. The account is logged into a windows pc and every files including the folders shared with my were syncing fine until yesterday. Yesterday night the shared folders were completely removed from the Windows pc and folders are replaced with internet shortcut. This is such a big mess. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, changing the location of OneDrive on my windows pc and tried to get a new folder shared to my account and adding it to OneDrive. Nothing works so far. OneDrive has a big part in my daily activities. Please help me resolve this.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T06:07:22+00:00

Here is the statement from the Microsoft OneDrive product group (Redmond USA) about the OneDrive Personal problem:

***This is related to a backend migration we are doing and unfortunately, we don’t fully support syncing shared folders in the case where one user has migrated and the other has not. We’re doing everything possible to accelerate things so that it can be resolved as soon as possible for users of the feature. When the accounts are migrated, there is automated logic that makes them go back to a syncing folder within several days.***I have heard, that shared Folder issue is gone.
The best thing is: WAIT and do nothing

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3,079 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-02-26T09:47:05+00:00

    Is there a way to force the online version to new?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-02-26T09:42:57+00:00

    Today on one of my machines where I get the infinate loop on clicking the link in windows explorer I managed to capture this screen shot.

    As you can see it says in feint writing "User migrated"

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-02-26T09:29:24+00:00

    Today for another of my accounts the shared folders have just become links after checking (via incognito mode login to onedrive.com) I can see that it has been migrated to the new type. It was the old type when I checked yesterday!

    Maybe Microsoft have realised that we (the community) have found the root cause and are busy converting all accounts to the new type.

    I hope that this will finally solve the issue.

    Situation today

    New Accounts (shared folder becomes url)

    ****@hotmail.co.uk

    ****@hotmail.com (became new today)

    ****@outlook.com

    Old Accounts

    My account which owns the family subscription

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-02-26T09:22:03+00:00

    Hello,

    Same issue for me.

    I share a folder with all my family members. Already 2 members have had their folder transformed into a link to OneDrive online.

    Do we have confirmation that this problem does not exist in the OneDrive Business version?

    Why is this problem open since June 2024 and still not solved?

    Thanks to all

    Laurent

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments