Folders Shared with me are syncing as internet shortcut in OneDrive on Windows PC

Anonymous
2024-06-08T04:53:55+00:00

Hi. I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. The account is logged into a windows pc and every files including the folders shared with my were syncing fine until yesterday. Yesterday night the shared folders were completely removed from the Windows pc and folders are replaced with internet shortcut. This is such a big mess. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, changing the location of OneDrive on my windows pc and tried to get a new folder shared to my account and adding it to OneDrive. Nothing works so far. OneDrive has a big part in my daily activities. Please help me resolve this.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T06:07:22+00:00

Here is the statement from the Microsoft OneDrive product group (Redmond USA) about the OneDrive Personal problem:

***This is related to a backend migration we are doing and unfortunately, we don’t fully support syncing shared folders in the case where one user has migrated and the other has not. We’re doing everything possible to accelerate things so that it can be resolved as soon as possible for users of the feature. When the accounts are migrated, there is automated logic that makes them go back to a syncing folder within several days.***I have heard, that shared Folder issue is gone.
The best thing is: WAIT and do nothing

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3,079 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-02-26T11:27:46+00:00

    Do you mean the Store app?

    I'm just guessing here.

    You could try uninstalling it, and delete any borked folders then re-link the desktop app.

    The Store app is useless, but it might also be what's breaking things.

    We gave up and moved to Ionos NextCloud.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-02-26T11:25:18+00:00

    Same here - a historical shared folder I have had for years suddenly became an browser shortcut! It means I can no longer save files to this folder. I pay for Onedrive/365 and no one @ M$ seems to want to fix this. Dropbox here I come!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-02-26T11:01:45+00:00

    got this issue also since yesterday, now i'm screw up THANKS MICROSOFT!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-02-26T10:56:13+00:00

    This issue started yesterday (25th Feb 2025) for us too.

    As per previous comments we can see one OneDrive account has the new layout (this is the account that cannot view folders in file explorer, only via internet shortcuts on the browser).

    The OneDrive account which shared the folders is working fine andis showing the old layout - I guess we have to wait for this account to be migrated to the new layout..... hopefully very soon as we use these folders every day for work

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments