OneDrive AutoSave isn't working, and it's creating new files instead of saving over my original file.

Anonymous
2024-03-25T00:08:24+00:00

For years I've been using OneDrive and whenever I open a file on my PC, "AutoSave" is automatically turned on. And when I make changes to my document, that specific file gets updated.

But for some reason, yesterday that changed. Now "AutoSave" is turned off by default. And when I turn it on, it tells me that I need to upload it to OneDrive. When i click OK, it creates a NEW file in OneDrive/Documents folder. The original file that I opened in (for example) OneDrive\Other\Recipes never got changed. So now I have 2 files. One is in OneDrive/Documents (the changed version) and the unchanged version is in OneDrive\Other\Recipes.

It works perfectly fine on my mobile app. When i open my document in OneDrive\Other\Recipes, it automatically saves changes as I modify the document. And it overwrites the original file. It doesn't create a NEW file in the OneDrive/Documents folder. That is what my PC did for years, up until yesterday.

I've removed and reinstalled OneDrive. That didnt help.

I've reset Onedrive. That didn't help.

My "AutoSave by Default" box is checked in Options/Save in Excel and Word.

Can someone please help me figure out how to fix this?

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-04-06T17:25:00+00:00

    Exactly same as me. They somehow think it's better to save a new file in a different folder. That's absurd.

    There is NO reason to create a 2nd file because there is the ability to go to previous versions if you made a mistake and want to go back. If they wanted to create a new file though(for some dumb reason), your current file should be the one that gets updated and remain in the same folder. The "old" copy of that file should be put somewhere else. That way we don't have to go to the Documents folder and grab the newer updated file and drag it into the correct folder and replace the old copy.

    I don't even use AutoSave anymore. Just manually save it from now on.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-06-24T18:02:49+00:00

    Same issue here. If you open the file from the local onedrive folder it doesnt turn on the autosave and you can not collaborate with team members as well. Alternative option is to open the same file by going to OneDrive on the browser and open the file on App from the browser than functionality works. Important bug. Happened after final update-Needs immediate fix.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-05-31T22:06:02+00:00

    I am experiencing this same frustration! I got a new laptop, logged into my OneDrive, and am now being required to create duplicate files in order to have the Auto Save function applied to the file. This is cluttering up everything and causing a workflow disruption.

    Microsoft, please fix this for us all! I was so happy to have moved all my files to OneDrive for this lifesaving feature... If it's not there for me, I'm not sure what makes OneDrive more beneficial than other cloud platforms.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-05-23T13:50:03+00:00

    This is EXACTLY my problem as well and is quite frustrating, especially since it's on my work laptop and my company's IT department gives us practically ZERO control to do anything to try to fix it ourselves. Sounds like not much I could do on my own, though.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-04-10T15:04:27+00:00

    Actually, I tried to save a document today and guess what? Auto save function was turned off.

    I guess my luck lasted for a day only.

    Pls microsoft team fix this asap!

    Back to manually save document before closing office now...

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments