OneDrive AutoSave isn't working, and it's creating new files instead of saving over my original file.

Anonymous
2024-03-25T00:08:24+00:00

For years I've been using OneDrive and whenever I open a file on my PC, "AutoSave" is automatically turned on. And when I make changes to my document, that specific file gets updated.

But for some reason, yesterday that changed. Now "AutoSave" is turned off by default. And when I turn it on, it tells me that I need to upload it to OneDrive. When i click OK, it creates a NEW file in OneDrive/Documents folder. The original file that I opened in (for example) OneDrive\Other\Recipes never got changed. So now I have 2 files. One is in OneDrive/Documents (the changed version) and the unchanged version is in OneDrive\Other\Recipes.

It works perfectly fine on my mobile app. When i open my document in OneDrive\Other\Recipes, it automatically saves changes as I modify the document. And it overwrites the original file. It doesn't create a NEW file in the OneDrive/Documents folder. That is what my PC did for years, up until yesterday.

I've removed and reinstalled OneDrive. That didnt help.

I've reset Onedrive. That didn't help.

My "AutoSave by Default" box is checked in Options/Save in Excel and Word.

Can someone please help me figure out how to fix this?

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. Anonymous
    2024-12-05T14:00:17+00:00

    Exact same thing is happening here.
    I'm an author and didn't realize a massive 240,000 word document I've been editing has not been being saved properly. When I turn on sync, it saves a new copy, and I have trouble finding that copy because I used to just be able to go to my Documents, Open, Edit, and it would auto-save to the cloud from there while I edit. It's like the new documents disappear into a void when I enable auto-save. Now I have to search for OneDrive in my computer first, to find what is hopefully the right document, which is annoying as heck. I can't check over 240,000 words every time to make sure everything is correct, so this is insane.
    I didn't realize how much this had been happening. When I finally found the location where my documents were being saved when I Enabled Auto-Save again, I found a trove of repeat documents I had kept trying to Auto-Save but couldn't find where they would normally upload. I'm beyond livid.
    I think the difference here for me is that I really had trouble finding where these "new" repeat documents were being saved, and I had given in to manually saving new documents to my PC, which has created a lot of confusion... I don't know which is the real document anymore, since I likely made mistakes along the way. I'm glad I have Atticus for authors. I paid once for their application and cloud service, and so I think I will just migrate everything to there and leave Microsoft365.

    edit: Literally after I posted this, my "disappeared" documents (which are all slightly different repeats of each other, because of the Auto-Save being off by default) are appearing in my Documents folder now. I must've done something after getting frustrated for the past couple of months, but I don't know what. I don't know if the problem will be fixed from now on... time will tell, so I'll give it a go a bit longer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-10-17T06:03:43+00:00

    This is exactly what happened to me yesterday it took me 3 hours to uninstall One Drive, then Microsoft then reinstall it and when the problem still remained they said they are from the Microsoft team and now I have to approach the One Drive team, I did nothing but to reconnect the same way only for another operator to connect to me but the problem still persists.

    Autosave does not work the same way as before every time it creates a new file, funny part is it picks up the name of the user as the name of the file and tries to overwrite the same file the result is that none of my files are saved.

    So what is actually meant to be auto saved is now auto destruct!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-09-05T22:43:20+00:00

    That's the problem. They changed it so that AutoSave creates the new file. That's how it's "supposed" to work now, and they think it's helpful. I've yet to find one person who likes this new change.

    I'd suggest don't even use AutoSave anymore. Just manually save the file each time you've make changes. If you have your Desktop synced to your OneDrive, the file in OneDrive will sync too.

    Do you know where they documented this is how it is supposed to work now? Given that when I open the file in one way, AutoSave is off, and when I open it a different way, AutoSave works, I'd like to know which one is the bug based on the current documentation.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-07-10T08:47:34+00:00

    Hello everyone,

    This solution worked for us :

    The problem seems to have been caused by the "File Collaboration" feature.
    We solved the problem by modifying the registry.

    The location of the key is HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\OneDrive.
    In this location, create a 32-bit DWord value called EnableAllOcsiClients (if it doesn't already exist).

    The value of this key should be set to 1 to enable file collaboration, or 0 to disable it.

    Restart OneDrive and Office and test automatic saving.
    It should work fine.

    Policy Documentation - EnableAllOcsiClients _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

    In addition and if this solution doesn't work, you can force the feature to appear to activate it manually and find out if the "file collaboration" option is indeed the cause of your incident.

    To do this, modify the "global.ini" file to make the "File collaboration" feature appear in OneDrive's advanced settings :

    In %localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\settings\Business1

    Edit the "global.ini" file
    Change the "CoAuthEnableUserSetting" variable from "true" to "false"
    (it will disable the "file collaboration" feature but this will make it appear in OneDrive's advanced settings).

    By modifying the "global.ini" file, the "File collaboration" option will appear in OneDrive's advanced settings, so you'll have to activate the feature manually when you open OneDrive.

    Activating this option will cause it to disappear the next time you restart OneDrive.

    Test the autosave feature again when file collaboration is correctly activated... ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

    I hope I've been clear enough and that this helps...

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments