OneDrive AutoSave isn't working, and it's creating new files instead of saving over my original file.

Anonymous
2024-03-25T00:08:24+00:00

For years I've been using OneDrive and whenever I open a file on my PC, "AutoSave" is automatically turned on. And when I make changes to my document, that specific file gets updated.

But for some reason, yesterday that changed. Now "AutoSave" is turned off by default. And when I turn it on, it tells me that I need to upload it to OneDrive. When i click OK, it creates a NEW file in OneDrive/Documents folder. The original file that I opened in (for example) OneDrive\Other\Recipes never got changed. So now I have 2 files. One is in OneDrive/Documents (the changed version) and the unchanged version is in OneDrive\Other\Recipes.

It works perfectly fine on my mobile app. When i open my document in OneDrive\Other\Recipes, it automatically saves changes as I modify the document. And it overwrites the original file. It doesn't create a NEW file in the OneDrive/Documents folder. That is what my PC did for years, up until yesterday.

I've removed and reinstalled OneDrive. That didnt help.

I've reset Onedrive. That didn't help.

My "AutoSave by Default" box is checked in Options/Save in Excel and Word.

Can someone please help me figure out how to fix this?

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-04-08T15:52:39+00:00

    I'm having the exact same problem since the latest update - any file in my OneDrive folder used to sync and autosave no problem, now this bug has appeared from around last week - Microsoft refuse to acknowledge the issue and support are no help (I've been through all the fixes suggested) - OneDrive support team keep sending me to office support team who then send me back to one drive support - I give up!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-03-25T01:10:14+00:00

    I'm not using .doc. All of my files are .docx.

    You then said "Please go to your OneDrive settings > Office, make sure the option below is enabled:". I'm not seeing >Office anywhere. When i click on One Drive Settings, I'm only seeing 4 Options to choose on the left. 1) Sync and Backup 2) Account 3) Notifications 4) About.

    Where is Office?

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-09-05T21:17:40+00:00

    This is truly absurd. Who wants multiple copies or versions of a document? It takes up twice as much disk space and if you're not careful, you will edit the wrong version. I am taking an online class and wrote a paper. I closed my document and went to the school website to upload it. I inadvertently uploaded an earlier version that had some mistakes and was incomplete. My teacher graded it and when I realized what happened after the submission deadline, he allowed me to submit the "good" version, but only gave me half of the points back that he took off. I have been using another cloud service called IDrive and think I'm going to ditch OneDrive. Why would MS fix something that wasn't broken??

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-05-03T14:31:28+00:00

    Our business has this same issue where a file that is saved on SharePoint will have autosave turned on by default but then each day the file will go to AutoSave off when accessed and then asks to sign into OneDrive when turning AutoSave on. AutoSave will turn on, but it then creates a copy that lives at the personal OneDrive level. For instance, I will go into a folder that shows its path as C:\Users\ComputerUserprofile\OurSharePointDomain\SharePointSiteLibrary

    When the file on this folder is accessed and AutoSave is turned off, our user will turn on AutoSave and then receive a prompt asking to Sign in to OneDrive - (Business name) or OneDrive with no other text after OneDrive

    When OneDrive - (Business name) is selected, another prompt comes up saying "Just a moment. We're uploading a copy of your document. You will continue to work on the uploaded copy."

    This then creates a copy that is the same file name with a (1) appended to the end. The files are the most up to date file format (.xlsx, .docx, etc.) but this happens to them each day.

    Knowing this is a bug with OneDrive or how OneDrive interacts with SharePoint at least gives me something to tell them but can Microsoft really not address this issue quickly? It creates a lot of double work and paranoia of losing data as a result.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-04-08T22:27:34+00:00

    Well if enough people are having the same issue hopefully it will be fixed and I won't waste time with chasing support.

    Oddest thing is though I linked my personal account to OneDrive on the same computer and its working as it always did, opens the file, doesn't download and auto save works as it always had. Both accounts have exactly the same settings.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments