Explorer.EXE This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action.

Anonymous
2023-09-26T09:11:15+00:00

Hi all, if you have been getting this image/pop up

Explorer.EXE This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. Please install an app or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Apps Settings page.

We are pretty sure it is due to OneDrive.

What the issue is with it - we are not sure - any ideas on how to fix this, that would be great!

Once we find a fix, I will mark as solution so others can take a look and see

Thanks,

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | Other | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-10-22T03:26:51+00:00

    similar issue, when i press WIN+E, it does not launch explorer but this popup error message.

    the cause is that i disabled some right-click menu items in an optimization app. When restored these changes, problem solved.

    the related items are:

    • open in new process
    • open in new tab
    • open in new window

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-01-08T08:33:26+00:00

    Hi Chris!

    I am glad that you managed to sort out OneDrive on your end!

    It looks like there are multiple issues with OneDrive that gives the same error which isn't log-able anywhere from as far as I can see which is annoying - we don't operate on a multiple account situation so this won't work for us (I have uninstalled, reinstalled and re-synced for the people with the issues) and alas it fails.

    So now, we know a fix for a personal OneDrive with a secondary account! I hope Microsoft actually finds out about these issues as surely it cannot be so niche to a small amount of people!

    Thanks,

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-01-06T18:43:40+00:00

    Hi Ieuan,

    I hit the same problem 2 days ago. I have a personal OneDrive account which I pay monthly, but I also have another lifetime Microsoft Office Licence under a separate account which I paid a onetime fee for. I also kept my OneDrive Files encrypted using Boxcryptor (I have since found out is now merged with Dropbox...that issue for another day!)

    I noticed a second Onedrive account appearing in my file directory 6-12 months called Onedrive-xyzschool... ago but has always remained empty. This second account was created as consequence of my Office Licence I think after a Microsoft OneDrive update at some point.

    Anyway, 2 days ago having worked on a file within my personal OneDrive, the OneDrive folder under Boxcryptor was removed, the changes I made to my work that day disappeared, and my personal OneDrive was now only shown under Users/myname/OneDrive. However, I now got the exact same Explorer.EXE as you above.

    I checked my 'Apps & features' in Settings and searched OneDrive...Microsoft OneDrive app was there and had been updated 4 Jan 2024...the day when the troube began. I uninstalled this, then opened up office.com on Microsoft Edge browser to see me signed in under my Office Licence account (not my OneDrive personal account). I switched user to my OneDrive personal account and then downloaded to re-install OneDrive app from here.

    After some installing, synching and backing up files access is now restored and the Exploer.EXE is not more....icing on the cake is that my personal OneDrive also re-appeared under Boxcryptor too - SUPERB!!

    Anyway, I hope you have the same issue of two accounts and the update of 'the other one' has messed up access to your 'usual' one as was the case with me.

    Good Luck.

    Chris

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-01-04T11:57:10+00:00

    Hi, reg keys already there - no luck

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-09-26T13:51:41+00:00

    Dear leuan McGuckin,

    Thanks for writing back and updating with us.

    As per the further updates, we would like to appreciate for sharing the detailed information about the troubleshooting steps tried and since the problem is happening with every users in the organization, there is should be some compatible issue with the Windows component and OneDrive sync client.

    If your colleague is able to reproduce the same problem even after trying the steps mentioned in my previous reply, I believe the problem need to be further investigated by the related development team by collecting the OneDrive logs and Fiddler logs.

    So, I suggest you raise a support ticket from the Office 365 admin center, where the related team will collect the Fiddler logs and find out the cause of the problem.

    Reference: Get support - Microsoft 365 admin | Microsoft Learn

    Note: To create a support ticket, you need to have admin privileges and if you aren’t admin of your Office 365 organization, please contact the admin of creating a new ticket.

    Moreover, if you find a solution, please provide here so we can mark your answer as it will be helpful to other members in this community with same problem.

    Appreciate your patience and understanding. Have a great day!!

    Best Regards,

    Sophia

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments