Explorer.EXE This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action.

Anonymous
2023-09-26T09:11:15+00:00

Hi all, if you have been getting this image/pop up

Explorer.EXE This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. Please install an app or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Apps Settings page.

We are pretty sure it is due to OneDrive.

What the issue is with it - we are not sure - any ideas on how to fix this, that would be great!

Once we find a fix, I will mark as solution so others can take a look and see

Thanks,

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | Other | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-09-25T13:37:38+00:00

    This worked for me ( windows 11). Issue started right after uninstalling onedrive (could have been the worst product of Microsoft). Open file explorer to value was set to "home". Shifting to "This PC" solved. Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-09-13T20:33:27+00:00

    This probably won't help anyone unless they're debugging, but I experienced this bug after realizing that OneDrive was going to sync up a game's mods folder that I had copied into Documents on a fresh Windows 11 install. Tried to exclude those folders in OneDrive, but that just caused it to delete the files that it wasn't allowed to sync. I stopped a sync mid-transfer and tried to exclude all of Documents, hoping that it might restore them to the default location instead of within OneDrive, but it didn't. Ended up unlinking the account entirely and restoring Documents from Recycle Bin.

    Somewhere in the hubbub this exact Explorer issue started popping up; pretty sure it was after I tried to exclude all of Documents from the OneDrive sync. Kept happening even after I uninstalled OneDrive, and still after I reinstalled it (although this time I didn't re-link the account).

    Fortunately, the error just stopped happening after I rebooted. The only other debugging I had done before the reboot was reset all of my default apps in Windows' settings, but I should note that the issue still occurred right after I did that.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-07-21T13:46:17+00:00

    This is exactly what I see. As soon as I installed OneDrive for Business on my PC that had the Personal installed, it has started popping this message every few minutes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-06-21T02:58:52+00:00

    My pop ups stopped after I uninstalled One Drive and unlinked my computer. Make sure you move all files you wanna keep before you uninstall. Good luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-06-14T00:49:30+00:00

    number 4 worked for me too after I got tired of onedrive and uninstalled it

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments