Explorer.EXE This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action.

Anonymous
2023-09-26T09:11:15+00:00

Hi all, if you have been getting this image/pop up

Explorer.EXE This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. Please install an app or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Apps Settings page.

We are pretty sure it is due to OneDrive.

What the issue is with it - we are not sure - any ideas on how to fix this, that would be great!

Once we find a fix, I will mark as solution so others can take a look and see

Thanks,

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | Other | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-05-22T19:09:29+00:00

    **EDIT - Update ** - Explorer made a liar of me. It came back just after I posted the below


    This issue began for me 2 days ago. I had dozens of the same pop-ups overnight. I did a few things this morning, and the issue has not recurred today since. Here's what I did:

    The 2 processed described here:

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/using-system-file-checker-in-windows-365e0031-36b1-6031-f804-8fd86e0ef4ca

    And the regedit (on HKEY_...lnkfile) in #5 described here:

    https://www.makeuseof.com/this-file-doesnt-have-app-associated-windows/

    Good luck! I hope it works for you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-05-22T13:01:25+00:00

    It's an interesting theory, and others in this thread have mentioned Adobe products, but I experience this on systems which have never seen an Adobe product installed, and I used AutoRuns (excellent idea, thank you) and on at least one of my systems where I see this problem, there is nothing out-of-date or unusual about any of the Explorer AutoRuns items. So, I doubt that the root cause is specifically Adobe, although possibly there's something that Adobe software does - and other software does to - that triggers a bug in Explorer/OneDrive/Windows/Microsoft...

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-05-22T07:13:50+00:00

    This exact same problem for me has been getting much worse over last couple of days, having started a week ago

    I have 3 x OneDrive for Business accounts and 1 x OneDrive personal accounts all synching and I'm reluctant to go through the hassle of uninstalling OD and resynching them all. And would that even fix the problem ?

    Please Microsoft, can we have some attention and advice/action on fixing this

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-05-18T12:34:18+00:00

    This problem just started with me today.

    But I only have one Microsoft Personal 365 account with OneDrive sync turned on for my laptop. I don't have any business accounts logged in.

    Any solutions?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-04-24T15:45:21+00:00

    Funny enough, I've had this issue since 2021, just a few months after I got this laptop and had the office package installed. As far as I know, no other coworkers, which are all connected to the same One Driver server, have this issue. It maybe pops up once or twice a day at most, often times when it happens, three or four windows with this error show up.

    From what I remember, it's always given multiple errors, usually all within a few seconds of each other. It sounds like it's running a scan or check and getting this error on something but I feel like the amount of error windows that I see would have increased over time, which it hasn't..

    Hope this helps some!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments