Word templates not opening as new documents

Anonymous
2022-02-07T06:40:36+00:00

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/word-templates-not-opening-as-new-documents/36dd51b5-b434-4f2b-85be-3db9aebd45eb?page=6

The thread was closed after this last post. Registry edits were suggested. That sounds quite easy compared to dealing with the ongoing file save problem.

Would you please tell me how to manually correct the file associations in the registry?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-02-12T23:04:43+00:00

    1 year and 3 months after this problem struck (following an update), the problem has been solved!

    I searched the registry for _auto_file and found a few entries, some with corruption indicators, like symbol characters and odd shapes for entry titles.

    I deleted all and rebooted, without change. I then tried to do an online re-installation, which just hung. It did work in the past since the initial problem, but never solved it.

    So I ran cccleaner (groan... :), which reported gads of errors, notable some with the .dotm and _auto_file. So I cleaned and repeated twice more, each time finding similar unlinked references, until no errors were found.

    Reboot and another attempt at online reinstall and SUCCESS :-)))

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments