Word templates not opening as new documents

Anonymous
2022-02-07T06:40:36+00:00

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/word-templates-not-opening-as-new-documents/36dd51b5-b434-4f2b-85be-3db9aebd45eb?page=6

The thread was closed after this last post. Registry edits were suggested. That sounds quite easy compared to dealing with the ongoing file save problem.

Would you please tell me how to manually correct the file associations in the registry?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-02-12T05:36:08+00:00

    Quick answer... Ortho tests is just a .docm I use to store content. All .docm docs created from templates also show the correct icons. Will try the other tests shortly.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-02-11T21:38:36+00:00

    Take a look at the template document icons. They don't look right.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2022-02-11T07:35:24+00:00

    Can you provide a screen shot of the right click menu

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-02-11T06:09:15+00:00

    In your video, the template is opened as Document8 without showing the extension.

    That is clearly not going to overwrite the template on save.

    You say that default "New" behavior has worked that way for years. My god, that is the point of this second generation thread. It does NOT work that way on my machine.

    Are you telling me that if I double-click a .dotm on my machine, it will open in "New" mode, or that I can right-click and select NEW?

    As I've said several times already, on the laptop, the "New" option is NOT in the context (right-click) menu. The only option is "Edit."

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-02-11T04:36:55+00:00

    Here is the whole page. That was dark mode, a Chrome add-on. I just cropped out the url.

    I watched the video but nothing new. When you demonstrated opening the .dotm, Word correctly opens it as DocumentN.docx or .docm depending on the save as setting (as you demonstrated).

    I fall off at the very first step. When I open the .dotm, it opens the actual template, with the full template name showing on the top bar. It's as if I right-clicked and selected "edit" in the context menu. There used to be two options, "open" and "edit." The former would give the behavior you demonstrated. The latter would open the template to allow editing. That is now the default and only option.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments