MS Access crashes when filtering a table or SELECT query

Anonymous
2020-01-21T18:57:16+00:00

Since about 1/20/2020, my MS Access software (from my Office 365 edition/Windows 10) will crash when I try to filter a database table or filter the results from a SELECT query.  This hasn't been a problem previously. 

Version 1912 (Build 12325.20298)

Anyone else experiencing this problem?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Access | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-01-24T23:51:24+00:00

    Hi,

    We are getting this too for about the past week.  It's happening on a variety of databases on a few different systems.  Since I started tracking this on 1/21, it's happened 7 times to one user on two different systems, both using Office365 and Windows 10, and I think it has something to do with a recent Office update.  It seems almost random, because it doesn't happen every single time, even doing the same thing.  It just started happening sporadically the past week or so.  I don't think it's a corrupt database, because it's happened on multiple databases of different sizes, both simple and complex, that were working just fine a week ago.  This is happening on databases with no Alt-F11 code, but we can try compiling to see if that helps.  Some are local Access tables, and some of the affected databases have tables linked to SQL Server 2017.

    Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-01-24T00:31:45+00:00

    FYI, I've forwarded this thread to the Access Dev Team.

    You can also post it on access.uservoice.com and also use the feedback command in Access to report the issue.  When using feedback, if you include your email, they may actually follow-up with you to get more information if needed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-01-23T23:33:40+00:00

    Thanks for the feedback Danny.  I am surprised that only 7 people have marked that they have the same issue.  Two of my colleagues are also experiencing the problem.  I've been working to avoid using filtering which I can do since most of my work is not based on using filters in a programmed environment.  Often I am populating a database from other source materials or running data checks and diagnosing table relationship issues.  So, while I have some programming in certain databases that I use, my filtering is usually a function of diving deeper to resolve data issues.  I have been able to work-around the filter problems by using SELECT queries rather than filtering.  I don't want to run the risk of crashing my database and corrupting the data.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-01-23T23:13:46+00:00

    I have a user with the same filter issue as you CorinneSevern we have tried a full online repair tried it on a new install of office. Tried rolling back office. As well on a new machine but when she filters it will randomly crash I do not see anything consistent besides filtering. I have nothing that can help but I want it to be known this seems like a issue. It is good to know we are not the only ones having it. It is driving me crazy.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-01-21T23:33:51+00:00

    I have been experiencing the problem with several of my databases.  I have checked with a couple of colleagues who also use MS Access and they have also been experiencing similar problems just recently.

    Recently, I have found that the crashes do not happen every time I execute a filter.  I would say that it will crash about 25% of the time now.  I can try the filter and it will crash the software.  Then I can open and Compact/Repair the database and then try a few filters and they will work fine for awhile.  Then the system will crash again with an different filter request.  So, I haven't been able to repeat the error with the same database/same filter consistently.

    I checked the features of one of the databases that is generating this error. 

    The database is 177 MB and it contains 12 tables. I have recently compacted and repaired the database.

    There is minimal VBA code in the database.  There is just some code that is associated with a form that will open another form (see extract of VBA code in italics below).

    Private Sub cmdOpenFrmQueries_Click()

    On Error GoTo Err_cmdOpenFrmQueries_Click

    DoCmd.Close

    DoCmd.OpenForm "frmQueries"

    etc....

    End Sub

    I compiled the VBA without any errors or issues.

    Below is an example of a filter that will crash the software.  

    Table name: 05EPAR4_LOCATION  with 688 records.

    Open table in browse mode.

    Select Filter by Form from the Home Button bar (I also have some quick buttons set up above the menu).

    Enter a criteria as follows into a field called sys_loc_code:   Like "TB*" 

    Select Apply Filter/Sort.

    A spinning wheel shows that the filter is in progress and then the software will crash.  The software will automatically restart and will have copied the database to a file with "Backup" in the file name.

    Image of the query is shown below:

    I have created a new database and imported one table into the new database from an existing database and had the same problem occur.

    I have not tried an Office Repair.

    Per your other reply, this is not associated with a backend SQL server.  However, I do have ODBC connections set up for other databases where I connect to MySQL tables.  I have not tested the issue with the Access databases that I have that use links to MySQL tables.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments