MS Access crashes when filtering a table or SELECT query

Anonymous
2020-01-21T18:57:16+00:00

Since about 1/20/2020, my MS Access software (from my Office 365 edition/Windows 10) will crash when I try to filter a database table or filter the results from a SELECT query.  This hasn't been a problem previously. 

Version 1912 (Build 12325.20298)

Anyone else experiencing this problem?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Access | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-01-31T06:40:40+00:00

    Hi Shane,

    Hmm, that might be difficult as it is a government database with confidential information in it.  However, a number of people are reporting the same problem - and it is definitely a 'new' problem as I have been working with the same database for a number of weeks and never encountered this problem until now.

    I have worked with MS Access since 1989, so I am pretty familiar with the normal problems and how to fix them.

    I can see if I can reproduce the problem with a more 'generic' database and send that to you.  However, it might take me a while as i am in the middle of a big project right now.

    thank you!

    Laurie

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-01-31T05:46:08+00:00

    Hi,

    Would you be willing to share your database (or a stripped down version) for us to investigate?

    I have been unable to reproduce the problem you describe so far.

    If you submit in-product feedback (Feedback, on the Help ribbon), and include "CorinneSevern" in the feedback so I can find it, then I can contact you and we can coordinate a way to submit your database.

    Thanks,

    Shane Groff

    Access Engineering

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-01-30T22:02:49+00:00

    I notice this also happens when I right click on an object's title bar to change the view.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-01-30T18:28:46+00:00

    Had done that procedure before but did it again.  Seemed to help until this morning - CRASH  - main problem shows "MS ACCESS Exception Code c0000005"

    -potential memory issue - did memory check - no problems found-

    Will uninstall/reinstall Access when I get a chance.

    I think Microsoft has caused a problem with this months Office update just like they did a few weeks back when everything was crashing until the fessed up and sent out a special fix

    Recent build 12325.20288 is suspect based on when issue started.

    I agree that it seems to be a problem with the latest release.  I didn't have any problems like this, even on a database with over 100,000 records, but recently Access has been closing/re-opening even when working with smaller tables (5,000 rows).  It works fine if I stick to queries, so will do that for now, but this is getting old.

    Microsoft needs to do a better job of testing their office updates to MS Access before releasing.  The November release and now this one both expose issues that one should be able to detect fairly quickly during testing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-01-30T18:15:06+00:00

    I did the decompile/compile procedure a few days ago.  I had several crashes since then.

    But, I have had no crashes for the past day & a half despite running numerous select queries that seemed to always crash before.

    Still running Version 1912 Build 12325.20298 - hard to believe Microsoft would sneak in undocumented fix.

    I hope that I am not being overly optimistic.   Anyone crashing today specifically during select queries or filtering which is where is thread started?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments