MS Access crashes when filtering a table or SELECT query

Anonymous
2020-01-21T18:57:16+00:00

Since about 1/20/2020, my MS Access software (from my Office 365 edition/Windows 10) will crash when I try to filter a database table or filter the results from a SELECT query.  This hasn't been a problem previously. 

Version 1912 (Build 12325.20298)

Anyone else experiencing this problem?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Access | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-02-04T04:34:41+00:00

    This should now be fixed for all versions of Office, although you may have to quit Access and restart to pick up configuration changes.

    Shane Groff

    Access Engineering

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-02-03T16:37:32+00:00

    I was struggling with my databases crashing since mid October 2019 (prior to this time no problems at all). I could work most of the day without a crash and then it would go.  Always seemed to occur when filtering a table or query or using a combo-box that looks up a record on a form. It would freeze for a moment and then close and restart asking to backup the database.

    I went back to databases that I knew were fine and were unused since September 1 2019 and they would crash too.  Led me to believe it was a bug in Access but couldn't find a thread about it until now.

    I followed the steps to roll back to a previous version of Office 365 (1909 Build 12026.20344) and the crashing issue ceased. Working hard in one of my DBs for 3 days now and no issues.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-01-31T19:04:54+00:00

    OK with the previous release I could filter x amount of times without any issues. Then on x+1 it would crash the db. I figured out when it was going to crash because it would hang up and then crash. With yesterday's release it is the same thing except for it does not crash the db, it just hangs up for a period of time.

    I just created a query with three fields. F1 is the data I need displayed using criteria in F2 and F3. I do not want the data from F2 and F3 so I uncheck the Show boxes. I uncheck F2's box and it hangs up. I uncheck F3's box and the same thing happens.

    It runs slow.

    I have multiple tables and queries open. I am filtering in multiple ones simultaneously. 

    While I am writing this email I am working in the db to see if there is anything else. It crashed while I was trying to filter a field in query result.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-01-31T18:04:41+00:00

    The 2001 Build 12430.20184 is no good from what I am seeing. It has only crashed once but it keeps hanging up.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-01-31T13:02:05+00:00

    I can look into that. One problem I see is it's a front-end for a connection to our hosted SQL server, so I'm not sure how hard you could pound on it as I can't give you access to that data.

    It happened only once yesterday, got through nearly a whole day of development, then right clicked to switch to design view and the toilet bowel appeared, then the window just quits and generally I'm presented with a "back-up database" dialog box.

    Is there perhaps some kind of error logs I can harvest when something happens again?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments