MS Access crashes when filtering a table or SELECT query

Anonymous
2020-01-21T18:57:16+00:00

Since about 1/20/2020, my MS Access software (from my Office 365 edition/Windows 10) will crash when I try to filter a database table or filter the results from a SELECT query.  This hasn't been a problem previously. 

Version 1912 (Build 12325.20298)

Anyone else experiencing this problem?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Access | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-02-15T18:41:35+00:00

    First, did you re-enable automatic updates using File/Account/Update Options/Enable Updates?

    Assuming you have done that, you should be able to create a config.xml file that directs Office to install the current Monthly Channel build, for example:

    <Configuration>

        <Add OfficeClientEdition="32" Channel="Monthly">

            <Product ID="O365ProPlusRetail">

                <Language ID="en-us" />

            </Product>

        </Add>

    </Configuration>

    Let me know if that doesn't work for you.

    Shane

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-02-15T00:00:38+00:00

    How do I get us back on the regular update path?  I followed the link and instructions to roll back while this issue was going on, creating the config.xml file and running "setup.exe /configure config.xml" to set a target version, but now I am stuck at that version without manually editing the config and rerunning with admin rights to set specific versions.  I would like to undo the steps I had to do to manually be on the older version for a while but I see no instructions on how to undo that temporary workaround.  I know it's a different issue but it was caused by following the instructions here to roll back.  Can you help me figure out how to get back in the regular automatic update stream, or should I open a new thread?  Now when I check for updates it says I'm at the most current version authorized by my administrator (me).

    Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-02-04T17:58:15+00:00

    It was not a code change, so the build number will not change.

    It was a configuration change, which is why quitting Access, if it is running, and restarting will be necessary, since the configuration is updated only when Access starts.

    thank you Shane - for the fix and the update!

    The larger discussion is:  This is the second time in a few months when Microsoft has released an update that adversely affected Access databases in a rather obvious way - that is, in a way that minimal testing should have detected.

    What plans does Microsoft have to avoid such problems in future releases?

    Laurie Almoslino

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-02-04T13:06:48+00:00

    This should now be fixed for all versions of Office, although you may have to quit Access and restart to pick up configuration changes.

    Shane Groff

    Access Engineering

    Was there something pushed out?

    When I checked my version it is 2001 Build 12430.20184. I checked for updates and it says I am up to date.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-01-21T20:33:11+00:00

    Could you show us a sample of a query that causes Access to crash.

    Does your database compile without errors?

    Have you tried compacting your database?

    Have you tried an office repair?

    Does this happen in just one database or all databases?

    Have you tried creating a new blank database and importing everything into it to see if the same thing happens?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments