Outlook 2013 keeps asking for my outlook.com password

Anonymous
2023-10-11T15:44:59+00:00

Outlook 2013, which is up to date, keeps asking for my outlook.com password. I have already deleted Credentials as a fix was posted earlier. But it still didn’t not fix the constant request for password.

I created a new profile. Same problem. Could y create a new one because of constant request for password.

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-10-12T11:59:29+00:00

    From not the community crew:

    1.https://github.com/mguessan/davmailThe Davmail might be worth a try.

    1. It seems that the 2013 version is not supported.

    https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/deployoffice/endofsupport/microsoft-365-services-connectivity

    | Office version | Supported for connecting until this date | | :--- | :--- | | Microsoft 365 Apps | Supported as long as you’re using a supported version. | | Office LTSC 2021 | October 13, 2026 | Note

    Support for connection to Microsoft 365 services with Office 2019 and Office 2016 ended on October 10, 2023.

    1. The latest update is 20230912

    https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdates/update-history-office-2013

    2023 September 12 15.0.5589.1001 KB 5002092

    4.There seem registry modification requirement for 2013 to meet the Modern Authentication requirement. https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/troubleshoot/administration/modern-authentication-configuration
    Outlook 2013

    • Modern Authentication is not enabled by default.
    • Modern Authentication can be enabled by setting the DWORD value to 1 in the following registry subkeys: HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Common\Identity\EnableADAL HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Common\Identity\Version For more information, see Enable Modern Authentication for Office 2013 on Windows devices.
    • It is recommended that users force Outlook to use Modern Authentication by setting the DWORD value of the following registry key to 1. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Exchange\AlwaysUseMSOAuthForAutoDiscover

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-01-26T20:56:15+00:00

    Hi, I've had the same problem. For about 6 months from August 2023, Outlook 2013 has worked without a problem using an 'App Password', however in the last week something has changed. Initially I fixed the issue by removing App Passwords and generating a new one. But then two days later the problem returned. This time using a new App password didn't work. (App passwords are explained here.)

    The following worked for a while, but not for long:

    1. I updated the registry as per the advice on the page 'How modern authentication works for Office 2013, Office 2016, and Office 2019 client apps'.
    2. Rebooted PC.
    3. With Outlook not started, I went in to the Control Panel and into the Mail (Microsoft Outlook 2013) (32 Bit)
    4. Went into Account Settings
    5. Picked the @outlook.com from the list of accounts and pressed repair.
    6. When the repair was complete I closed the open windows.
    7. Started Outlook. As Outlook was starting it gave a message about changes requiring Outlook to restart. It asked for the password. I waited for Outlook to finish loading, closed the password screen, then closed down Outlook.
    8. Started Outlook again. It started without asking for a password and is connected to my account.

    However, the next time I started Outlook, it again asked for a password!

    So, I've tried the App password approach again, and it connected by that method. But then 5 minutes later it is asking for a password again.

    The behaviour seems to be random.

    Is this happening to everyone with Outlook 2013? Is there a solution?

    I am wasting hours on this, it is very frustrating.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-01-26T05:44:15+00:00

    To create the registry subkey, open the regedit.exe app as administrator and navigate to "Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Common\Identity". In the regedit menu bar select "Edit" and then "New" from the drop-down list. Select "DWORD" from the list displayed when you click on "New". Assign the new "DWORD" the name "EnableADAL" and give it a value of 1.

    I was premature in concluding that the addition of this subkey would solve the problem. Immediately after I added the subkey, Outlook seemed to work fine, but the next day the problem reoccurred. At this point I am not sure how to resolve the problem of Outlook 2013 not connecting to the server and repeatedly asking for a password.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-07-07T11:32:43+00:00

    On the 4th July 2024 I received an email from Microsoft, you might have received the same warning about a 16th September deadline. That email message included the following statement:

    'If you are receiving this email, you are currently using an email or calendar app that uses a less secure authentication method to connect to your Outlook.com email account. You will need to upgrade your third-party mail and calendar app to a version which supports modern authentication methods. '

    The message didn't make a lot of sense, but there was a link to web-page that explains in more details:

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/office/modern-authentication-methods-now-needed-to-continue-syncing-outlook-email-in-non-microsoft-email-apps-c5d65390-9676-4763-b41f-d7986499a90d

    This article explains that asking repeatedly for a password is a known issue, and that after September 16th 2024 it will not be possible to access the Outlook.com account by re-entering a password.

    The article explains:

    The following versions of Outlook Desktop do not support Modern Authentication for Outlook.com: Outlook 2007, Outlook 2010, Outlook 2013, Outlook 2016 MSI, Outlook 2019 LTSC. Any release of Outlook Desktop with a version less than 11601.10000 does not support Modern Authentication for Outlook.com.

    I think this means that after September 16th 2024, Outlook 2013 will not be able retrieve or send email for any Outlook.com accounts.

    My understanding is that for my Outlook.com account, I need to find another way to manage my email, contacts, calendar, and stop using Outlook 2013 with this account, and do this before September 16th 2024!

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-02-01T20:31:16+00:00

    Yes, started happening to me about a week ago, across three different Outlook accounts, one from live.com and two from outlook.com. Each profile randomly disconnects and prompts for password. Sometimes entering it will briefly resolve the problem, sometimes it will just keep prompting, sometimes it's enough to click on the "Need Password" entry in the status bar to restore connectivity.

    There was a similar issue in Outlook for Android a few months back, when it constantly asked to sign in, even so email was coming in and going out normally. It seemed to be caused by OneDrive integration. Once I added and signed in to each account's OneDrive in the storage account settings, in addition to the email accounts, the prompts finally disappeared. Not sure if there is something similar at work in Outlook 2013.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments