Autofill disabled on new Microsoft login page. ANNOYING!!!

Anonymous
2016-04-04T15:02:47+00:00

It appears there is now a new login page for Outlook Live Online which is the main login for all Microsoft accounts. It also appears this new page is blocking the autofill feature on Chrome for the user name. I have been meaning to switch to another email client for some time now and this is definitely the last straw which has put me over the edge.  Anyone know anything about this?

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Account management, security, and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-05-10T06:14:46+00:00
    1. support.microsoft.com chat finally offered a link to report this issue to the programmers. 

    If you wish you add your voice try visiting here:

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/getsupport?oaspworkflow=start\_1.0.0.0&wfname=capsub&productkey=wolmain&locale=en-us&selectedproduct=Windows+Live+ID&selectedissue=I+am+having+trouble+signing+in&Service%3a=General+Issue&ccsid=635984542072945652&wa=wsignin1.0

    Maybe we can squeak loud enough to be heard?

    I too have opened a Support Request at the site suggested by Cynicidal Couchpotato.

    Note that after opening your case, you will get an email response (either suggesting that the problem is with your browser or saying that they know about the bug and it's being worked on).

    In either case, your Support Request will be closed. In the email you receive, you will not be told that it is closed. However, if you follow the link they provide in the email, a web page will be opened showing a transcript of all the replies in your case. At the top-left of that web page, you will see a status that indicates that your case is closed. There is also a link that says reopen (click the link and provide a reply as to why you are reopening your case ... for example, because the problem is still not fixed).

    Someone will respond within 24 hours ... and you will get another email (saying "we are working on it"). Again, the email will have no indication that your case has been closed ... but going to the web site will show that the case was closed.

    Click reopen and repeat. If you do not get an email within 24 hours, they may have closed your case without sending you an email. Just check the web site to see if your case has been closed.

    As Schmactor has pointed out ... the fix for this problem would literally take 10 seconds to implement: change autocomplete="off" to autocomplete="on". If Microsoft refuses to make this simple change (back to the way that the old Sign On page used to work), then the least they should do is provide an explanation on why they refuse to fix this issue.

    I'll be reopening my case each day until Microsoft offers an explanation, or fixes the problem, or my keyboard wears out! Perhaps it's futile, but it only takes a minute to reopen the case ... and somewhere in Microsoft there is a spreadsheet that shows a case being closed and reopened many many times .... perhaps someone in Microsoft will want to know why that is happening and read my case's transcript .... or perhaps Microsoft just does not care about customer satisfaction.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-05-10T05:57:50+00:00

    Schmactor,

    THANK YOU for the script.

    I have been using Greasemonkey for many years to write user scripts (to be used with Firefox)  ... so I attempted write a Greasemonkey script to match your script (as you know, the corresponding Greasemonkey script is essentially identical to your script).

    Unfortunately, I could not get my Greasemonkey script to work. I use the following code snippet to try and find out why my script was not working ...

    [...]

    var elmLink = document.getElementById("i0281");

    if (elmLink == null) {alert("was null");}

    if (elmLink != null) {alert("was NOT null");}

    [...]

    The above code produced a popup that said "was null" ... which tells me that for some reason my script could not find element ID = "i0281".

    I tried my script with i0281 in single quotes with the same results.

    I use the "Inspector" function of Firefox and verified that element i0281 did exist in the Sign On page's HTML code. Here's the first few lines ...

    <form name="f1" id="i0281" novalidate="novalidate" spellcheck="false" method="post" target="_top" autocomplete="off" data-bind="submit: submit, autoSubmit: forceSubmit, attr: { action: postUrl }"  ...

    It just seems like my script is not seeing Element ID i0281.

    For debugging purposes, I searched the Sign On page's HTML for other Element IDs, and changed xxxx in this line ...

    var elmLink = document.getElementById("xxxx");

    ... to try to find other Elements ... but same results.

    I suspect the problem is on my computer but I am at a loss to figure it out.

    If you have any ideas or thoughts, I would appreciate them.

    In any case, I totally agree with your point ... the fix for this issue is simple .... in the Sign On page's HTML, all that Microsoft needs to do is either remove autocomplete="off" or change it to autocomplete="on". [I tried this using Firefox's Inspector, and it worked ... with autocomplete set to "on" the Sign On page showed a list of matching addresses after I typed the first character of my email address (in to the Sign On page].

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-05-10T05:37:16+00:00

    I add two more observations;

    1. **Outlook UserVoice**, is not a Microsoft site. It is a Microsoft endorsed, third-party subscriber site.     Yuck!
    2. support.microsoft.com chat finally offered a link to report this issue to the programmers. 

    If you wish you add your voice try visiting here:

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/getsupport?oaspworkflow=start\_1.0.0.0&wfname=capsub&productkey=wolmain&locale=en-us&selectedproduct=Windows+Live+ID&selectedissue=I+am+having+trouble+signing+in&Service%3a=General+Issue&ccsid=635984542072945652&wa=wsignin1.0

    Maybe we can squeak loud enough to be heard?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-05-08T22:29:57+00:00

    Cynicidal Couchpotato,

    Good points.

    This bug has been going on since the new Sign On page was deployed around March 24.

    I have reported the bug here (in Microsoft Community), on the UserVoice site, and on the Answer Desk site.

    Microsoft has acknowledged that the behavior in the new Sign On page (lack of support for auto-complete) is a bug, but all they will say is "we are working on it".

    As you said, the old Sign On page supported auto-complete ... so Microsoft already has code to fix this bug .... how long can it take to put the old code back in, test it, and deploy it  .... or better yet, just restore the old Sign On page.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-05-08T19:10:28+00:00

    **Outlook UserVoice**,  is an open forum for you to share feedback, recommend features, and vote for the ideas you like best.  ...

    If you’d like to see and vote on other ideas, you can always visit Outlook.UserVoice.com and sign-in with your Microsoft account.

    >>FAIL<< This is misleading. 

    https://outlook.uservoice.com/forums/284136-outlook-com demands a brand new PASSWORD!

    That is not how I interpret, "sign-in with your Microsoft account."

    That is just one MORE way to ALIENATE a legacy user community.

    It seems your objective is;

    Unnecessarily complicate the feedback/complaint process so users give up in frustration. Now you no longer need to be accountable to the community who has abandoned your uselessly isolated service.

    It was bad enough when you only wrote code to justify your jobs.

    Now you create multiple, isolated(not interlinked), redundant forums.

    Tracking threads for a single issue has become antagonistic, cumbersome, and repetitive.

    Your team remains NON-responsive.  This is just another distraction - NOT A SOLUTION.

    The Solution:

    1. RESTORE THE EARLIER, WORKING CODE.
    2. FIX THE BAD CODE.
    3. TEST IT.
    4. ANNOUNCE IT.
    5. UPLOAD THE CORRECTED CODE.

    I fear this idea will never leave this page.

    I regret my loss of trust, but your "service paradigm" has guaranteed the loss.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments