Why are some people on Teams calls showing as a black screen?

Anonymous
2023-11-20T14:44:57+00:00

On Teams calls on new Teams, when on calls with multiple people, usually one or more of them are showing as a black screen. If I share screens, they will suddenly appear as normal on the side of the screen, so it's nothing to do with their camera settings or privacy shield.

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Meetings and calls | Audio and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-07-02T07:41:42+00:00

    Same issue on Lenovo Legion Pro 5 16IRX8.

    Has anyone tried updating gpu drivers?

    Interesting note: the problem disappears on my secondary monitor which has lower resolution and lower refresh rate.

    I found out I can "fix" this problem by lowering the refresh rate on the laptop screen to 60Hz.

    You can do this in the Display > Advanced display Windows settings.

    Even more interesting: After switching back to 240Hz, the problem is still solved!

    Update: the issue returned and I noticed my "fix" only works if I first minimize all the Teams windows that have camera feeds.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-05-24T18:39:22+00:00

    Ditto.... same issue with new teams, random participants on group calls are black screens and changes if modify the screen size. It may be a memory issue but it's really not our job as users to determine what is wrong - it's impossible that this wasn't happening in testing by MS prior to release of this version it's just too consistent as an issue.

    Can someone from MS at least acknowledge this is an issue? I mean sometimes I'm glad i don't see everyone, don't get me wrong, but when is someone from MS going to address and release update to correct? It's been ongoing ever since new release and i've tested shutting down any heavy consumption applications (MS Outlook/Chrome, etc.) and behaves the EXACT same. It's totally distracting from meeting when trying to readjust screen sizes and i've largely given up....

    WHAT IS UP WITH TESTING - MS!!!!???? Also on lenovo yoga, large screen. It's hard to imagine delivering the new MS Teams with this type of performance - it's literally a virtual meeting platform that doesn't display meeting participants... i'd say missing a critical feature ;)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-05-24T13:40:12+00:00

    So I was having this problem on my Windows 10 machine, which then started having other issues and I replaced it. New machine with Windows 11 does not have the black boxes. Two theories:

    • This is a Windows 10 issue.
    • This is a hardware compatibility issue.

    In either case, Teams worked fine before so something that has changed (new or old Teams, didn't matter for me) that made my old Windows 10 laptop have these problems. So unless Teams is only meant to work perfectly for brand new computers with the latest OS, then Microsoft should get this fixed!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments