Intel Core i7-6700HQ Not Getting The Windows 11 Update?

Anonymous
2021-10-13T03:29:44+00:00

Hi there,

The Intel core i7-6700HQ is still even in 2021, a pretty powerful CPU, what led Microsoft to decide that PC users with this CPU should not get an update to windows 11? It is not so that this CPU can't handle the Windows 11 operating system. Should older PC's with still powerful enough CPU's be left out? Is this "good business" for Microsoft?

Would appreciate your insights and comments on this,

Thank you!

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-03-25T06:00:35+00:00

    I have Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.60 GHz in my HP ENVY 17". I was using Win 10 64bit Professional and running the MS application to see if my PC was eligible for Win 11 upgrade but it gave me the message "Dieser PC unterstützt derzeit die Systemanforderungen für Windows 11 nicht" (I am living in Germany and the original language for my OS was Deutsch, that I later changed to English).

    I decided nevertheless to try Win 11 installation, modifying the Registry with Registry Editor as suggested by several posts in the net.

    Surprise!!! It works and I must say it works quite well!!! I have access to all the upgrades and the installed apps are all working fine.

    I am publishing this post to share my experience with other people facing the same problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-01-21T21:17:45+00:00

    I use an Intel core i7-6700HQ with Windows 10 and want to upgrade to Windows 11.

    I do not ask why Microsoft is not supporting this Intel core i7-6700HQ as lot of people managed to get it work.

    I do ask why Microsoft is ignoring all our messages to make it possible. The upgrade check tool still reports "Dieser PC unterstützt derzeit die Systemanforderungen für Windows 11 nicht".

    So, please, Microsoft Support, make it possible, if you are not allowed, then please ask your top management about. Its a shame.

    Hans

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-11-11T12:11:17+00:00

    Agreed! I even had this processor in the Insider program with windows 11 for over a year without any crashes!
    It works perfectly well.

    All apps work.
    Microsoft is pushing the world to more polution by pushing us to buy new equiptment.
    ICore i7-6700 CPU @2.60GHZ meets all necessary specs

    TPM is working, I have 16GB Ram, Secure startup, Storage over 1 TB and SSD256

    4cores

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-09-15T05:46:23+00:00

    I own an Acer Predator Helios 300.

    I7-7700HQ.

    Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060

    2× 1TSSD

    (32GB)DDR4-2666 gaming memory

    My laptop is still more capable than half or more of what's on the market today not strictly speaking in terms of gaming machines. However the rating of my laptop has dropped on every sales platform along with its value since the arrival of windows 11. It was at one point considered a solid gaming machine for anyone not looking to spend 4 grand. You can barely give these things away today. That isn't normal considering it's still able to play most triple A titles on high graphics. While it's a capable machine, nobody wants a laptop that can't run the latest version of its operating system. I don't want a laptop that can't run the latest version of its operating system. I honestly can't figure out other than the obvious financial incentives why you couldn't release a version of windows 11 for I7-7700HQ machines. It is bad business. For more reasons than 1. (1) it's a high end processor that's more than capable of running windows 11. (2) almost every device carrying this processor was very expensive for the customer. They are not cheap to replace just because Microsoft didn't want to make a backwards compatible version of windows. (3) you've alienated nearly every gamer on the planet that owns one. That's a big number of your customers. If windows didn't have a strangle hold on the market I personally would never buy one again. I will never buy a brand new windows gaming PC again. I've owned that laptop for about 3 years. I know it just turned 5 years along with the 7700HQ but it was sold for about 3 years

    (4) perception

    Here is a copy paste exert from a reddit from a reddit question about why the 7700hq is not capable of running windows 11. This is voted the number 1 response.

    Windows 11 seems to be the most shameless push for hardware upgrades by software in decades. Scalpers already bought out all physical TPM 2.0 modules everywhere...

    I could keep going but I'm out of time

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. JX313 7,055 Reputation points
    2022-01-27T07:24:39+00:00

    And sorry Joe13 B-) 2.0 2.0") , your defence regarding security platforms sounds like a highly logical reason to support MS's decision, however, aside from nanostructure changes & gen- to- gen performance boosts, the list of approved CPU's issued by Microsoft do not support your theory and are inconsistent. Plus Windows security can be handled within BIOS & in other ways

    It does sound so, probably because many users ask the same question- "why isn't this processor supported?"

    >>So, I put it to a qualified Microsoft technician (not sales, admin, customer services or similar) to assist in this thread & please, share the test results for the i7 6700 & demonstrate the exact area where performance was unstable?

    I know a lot of users who are running 11 on the 6700HQ. And I know many of them reported that there were no performance issues. I never mentioned about it my reply. All I talked about was security, so that part of your reply doesn't make any sense to me.

    >>aside from nanostructure changes & gen- to- gen performance boosts, the list of approved CPU's issued by Microsoft do not support your theory and are inconsistent

    It's obviously pointless that you're blaming me for Microsoft's theory. I never made any theories, nor collabed with MS and decide on the processor list.

    >>There is absolutely NO CHANCE Microsoft found creditable negative results in running Windows 11 alongside this processor.

    Not true.

    >>before many have to part with serious money on new CPU's & motherboards, or an entire new PC.

    And hey, we never recommend you to buy a new PC. If you're OK with 10, stay with it after 2025. OK?

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments