Leave it blank the old password
And for the new password try to put the password you want
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Hello, I've been having an issue the past few hours and I cannot figure out how to fix it, Windows keeps asking me for a password and saying my old one is expired. I have been looking for answers on the internet and they all say that the password that windows is asking for is my Microsoft account password but it keeps saying that it's wrong even though I have reset it and used a different one since I'm still logged in on my phone. I made sure to put the right password in when logged in on my phone and that worked but when I boot up my pc and put that same password in it says it's wrong, please if anybody could help me I'm extremely confused.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Leave it blank the old password
And for the new password try to put the password you want
Yo guys,
I just found a crazy trick that worked for me!😂 lol.
Just type in the new password and reenter it. Leave the old password window blank and click next. It just worked for me😂
Same exact problem. Dozens of people I know are all having this issue. None of them set their passwords to expire, they all have local accounts, we have even executed the command to prevent password expiration, yet they are all expiring. Why is this? Why is Windows having more problems than it did in 1998? Who is even working here causing all of these issues? It's like Microsoft has zero employees that have any clue what they are doing.
What can you do if it says that your old password is incorrect and won't let you log in or change the password?
Hi
Thanks for your reply.
From your description, it seems that the expired password is for your local administrator account. If that is the case, you will need to remember the old password and then reset a new one. Once you have accessed Windows, disable the password expiration feature so that your password will not expire in the future.
If you are getting “Your password has expired and must be changed” error. Click on the “OK” button and Windows will allow you to change the password then and there. Then you will have to enter the old password.
Once you are logged in with a new password, now disable the Windows password expiry feature so that it does not occur again. Right-click on “My Computer” or “This PC” and open “Manage”.
It will open the Computer Management window. Here, expand the “Local Users and Groups” menu and open “Users”. Now, right-click on your username and open “Properties”.
Untick the “Password never expires” checkbox and click on the “OK” button. And your password on Windows 10 will not expire in the future.