Did you ever figure it out? Currently having the same issue.
Why is my windows saying my password is expired?
Hello, I've been having an issue the past few hours and I cannot figure out how to fix it, Windows keeps asking me for a password and saying my old one is expired. I have been looking for answers on the internet and they all say that the password that windows is asking for is my Microsoft account password but it keeps saying that it's wrong even though I have reset it and used a different one since I'm still logged in on my phone. I made sure to put the right password in when logged in on my phone and that worked but when I boot up my pc and put that same password in it says it's wrong, please if anybody could help me I'm extremely confused.
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows Hello, lock screen and sign-in
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
42 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2024-06-29T00:01:37+00:00 -
Anonymous
2024-07-16T13:04:42+00:00 Hi I have the same problem with Windows 11 home. The password lock computer, we didn't set the administrator account on this laptop, we didn't needed. When I am trying to change the password I get the message to insert USB media? Could anyone help me with this? What kind of USB media I need to put in computer or what is the solution of this issue?
-
Anonymous
2024-08-15T16:52:35+00:00 Real question: how do you launch this when you can't log in to the computer?
-
Anonymous
2024-08-09T15:44:12+00:00 I have a local account that I usually use Windows Hello/face recognition to log in. This morning when I do so, it said:
Your password has expired and must be changed. Sign in with your PIN in order to change it.
I typed in my PIN, and it immediately says:
Unable to update the password. The value provided for the new password does not meet the length, complexity, or history requirements of the domain.
And then I was back where I started. Trying to login in with PIN directly immediately showed the "Unable to update the password. ..." message. Trying to log in with password said that it needs to be changed, and then when I clicked "OK" it showed "Unable to update the password. ..."
I forced rebooted the laptop (hold down power button until it shuts off, and then power it back on again). When I tried to login with face it said that my password needed to be changed, but then actually took me to a screen where I could type a new password. Insane that a reboot somehow changed its behavior around this.
-
Anonymous
2024-02-27T02:18:36+00:00 Hi
Welcome to Microsoft community.
It sounds like there may be an issue with your Windows settings or account. Here are a few steps you can try to resolve the issue:
- Make sure you are entering the correct password - double check for any typos or caps lock is on.
- Try restarting your computer and see if that resolves the issue.
- If you are using a Microsoft account to log in, try resetting your password again and make sure to use the new password on your computer.
- Check your computer's date and time settings to make sure they are correct.
- Wait for a while, and then check again if the password can be used to log in correctly.
Please feel free to let me know how it goes.
Best regards
Derrick Qian | Microsoft Community Support Specialist