Windows Update will not work after Windows 10 2004 (OS Build 19041.450) update

Anonymous
2020-09-22T13:00:25+00:00

After upgrading PCs to the Windows 10 2004 build, Windows Update is giving the following message:  We couldn't connect to the update service.  We'll try again later, or you can check now.  If it still doesn't work, make sure you're connected to the Internet.

 I'm seeing these types of entries in the WindowsUpdate Log:

*FAILED* [80248014] GetServiceObject couldn't find service '855E8A7C-ECB4-4CA3-B045-1DFA50104289'.

2020/09/21 15:14:36.4156831 6468  3848  Agent           *FAILED* [80248014] Method failed [CAgentServiceManager::GetServiceObject:1980]

2020/09/21 15:14:36.4156857 6468  3848  Agent           *FAILED* [80248014] GetServiceObject couldn't find service '855E8A7C-ECB4-4CA3-B045-1DFA50104289'.

2020/09/21 15:14:36.4156873 6468  3848  Agent           *FAILED* [80248014] Method failed [CAgentServiceManager::GetServiceObject:1980]

2020/09/21 15:14:36.4156901 6468  3848  Agent           *FAILED* [80248014] Failed to resolve federated serviceId 855E8A7C-ECB4-4CA3-B045-1DFA50104289

2020/09/21 15:14:36.4156938 6468  3848  Agent           *FAILED* [80248014] Failed to execute service registration call {50E333F9-D535-4CDA-801E-F517D254AE95} (cV: BMWJ8+eA50uif6ci.1.0.1.0.1)

2020/09/21 15:14:36.4157054 6468  3848  IdleTimer       WU operation (SR.Update;ScanForUpdates ID 41, operation # 203) stopped; does use network; is not at background priority

2020/09/21 15:14:36.4368886 5892  7064  ComApi          * END *   Federated Search failed to process service registration, hr=0x80248014 (cV = BMWJ8+eA50uif6ci.1.0.1.0)

2020/09/21 15:14:36.4400323 5892  6244  ComApi          * START *   Federated Search ClientId = Update;ScanForUpdates (cV: BMWJ8+eA50uif6ci.1.0.2.0)

2020/09/21 15:14:36.4408406 6468  6492  IdleTimer       WU operation (SR.Update;ScanForUpdates ID 42) started; operation # 208; does use network; is not at background priority

2020/09/21 15:14:36.4409456 6468  3848  Agent           *FAILED* [80248014] GetServiceObject couldn't find service '855E8A7C-ECB4-4CA3-B045-1DFA50104289'.

2020/09/21 15:14:36.4409477 6468  3848  Agent           *FAILED* [80248014] Method failed [CAgentServiceManager::GetServiceObject:1980]

2020/09/21 15:14:36.4409489 6468  3848  Agent           Processing auto/pending service registrations and recovery.

2020/09/21 15:14:36.4505669 6468  3848  SLS             Get response for service 9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77 - forceExpire[False] asyncRefreshOnExpiry[False]

2020/09/21 15:14:36.4505711 6468  3848  SLS             path used for cache lookup: /SLS/{9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77}/x64/10.0.19041.450/0?CH=407&L=en-US;es-ES;fr-FR&P=&PT=0x30&WUA=10.0.19041.423&MK=Dell+Inc.&MD=Latitude+E5470

2020/09/21 15:14:36.4506188 6468  3848  SLS             Retrieving SLS response from server...

2020/09/21 15:14:36.4512418 6468  3848  SLS             Making request with URL HTTPS://slscr.update.microsoft.com/SLS/{9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77}/x64/10.0.19041.450/0?CH=407&L=en-US;es-ES;fr-FR&P=&PT=0x30&WUA=10.0.19041.423&MK=Dell+Inc.&MD=Latitude+E5470 and send SLS events.

2020/09/21 15:14:36.6960634 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] Send request

2020/09/21 15:14:36.6960687 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] WinHttp: SendRequestToServerForFileInformation (retrying with default proxy)

2020/09/21 15:14:36.9283262 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] Send request

2020/09/21 15:14:36.9283327 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] Library download error. Will retry. Retry Counter:0

2020/09/21 15:14:37.1717158 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] Send request

2020/09/21 15:14:37.1717212 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] WinHttp: SendRequestToServerForFileInformation (retrying with default proxy)

2020/09/21 15:14:37.4307260 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] Send request

2020/09/21 15:14:37.4307329 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] Library download error. Will retry. Retry Counter:1

2020/09/21 15:14:37.6832104 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] Send request

2020/09/21 15:14:37.6832156 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] WinHttp: SendRequestToServerForFileInformation (retrying with default proxy)

2020/09/21 15:14:37.9328046 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] Send request

2020/09/21 15:14:37.9328117 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] Library download error. Will retry. Retry Counter:2

2020/09/21 15:14:38.1681970 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] Send request

2020/09/21 15:14:38.1682041 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] WinHttp: SendRequestToServerForFileInformation (retrying with default proxy)

2020/09/21 15:14:38.4163067 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] Send request

2020/09/21 15:14:38.4163144 6468  3848  SLS             Complete the request URL HTTPS://slscr.update.microsoft.com/SLS/{9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77}/x64/10.0.19041.450/0?CH=407&L=en-US;es-ES;fr-FR&P=&PT=0x30&WUA=10.0.19041.423&MK=Dell+Inc.&MD=Latitude+E5470 with [80072F8F] and http status code[0] and send SLS events.

2020/09/21 15:14:38.4163191 6468  3848  SLS             *FAILED* [80072F8F] GetDownloadedOnWeakSSLCert

2020/09/21 15:14:38.4164068 6468  3848  SLS             *FAILED* [80072F8F] Method failed [CSLSClient::GetResponse:625]

2020/09/21 15:14:38.4164115 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] Method failed [CSLSEndpointProvider::GetWUClientData:2275]

2020/09/21 15:14:38.4164129 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] EP: get client data

2020/09/21 15:14:38.4164147 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] Method failed [CSLSEndpointProvider::GetSecondaryServicesEnabledState:1689]

2020/09/21 15:14:38.4164174 6468  3848  Agent           *FAILED* [80072F8F] Method failed [CAgentServiceManager::DetectAndToggleServiceState:2910]

2020/09/21 15:14:38.4164214 6468  3848  Agent           *FAILED* [80072F8F] Failed to resolve federated serviceId 855E8A7C-ECB4-4CA3-B045-1DFA50104289

2020/09/21 15:14:38.4164259 6468  3848  Agent           *FAILED* [80072F8F] Failed to execute service registration call {519E9AED-2AC2-4CC5-87C8-6F1E2B991ED5} (cV: BMWJ8+eA50uif6ci.1.0.2.0.1)

Here are some of the troubleshooting steps I’ve done so far that haven’t worked:

  • Sfc /scannow
  • Dism /online /cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
  • Ran a Windows script to reset/clear Windows update.  Basically stops all the services, renames the WindowsUpdate folders (catroot2 & SoftwareDistribution) and then restarts the services

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

  • Ran the Windows Update Troubleshooter
  • Tried LAN and Wifi connections
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-10-27T15:29:42+00:00

    I did a small amount of digging (don't know that you have with this) but I'm wondering if the issue stems from the Software Protection Platform service now. Event viewer shows a few things logged when trying to open office with a broken machine. Didn't dig too extensively, but I did see some entries in there.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-10-27T13:33:29+00:00

    I went through the entire registry and cleared it 100% of Office. Even when I tested Office uninstalls I was unable to go back and reinstall, it would just error out. On top of that I couldn't install any other version of Office as well. Based on that, I highly doubt it's related to Office and I suspect it's a Windows licensing engine issue. Something specific in Windows itself is getting screwed up which prevents any Office from working. I found I no longer needed to uninstall Office and it was just a matter of reinstalling Windows twice to get it to properly reseat whatever was broken. After that, Office would work again because the licensing engine, I'm assuming, was fixed. I'd love to hear from a Microsoft programmer the nitty gritty details of how this all works and what exactly Office uses within Windows to handle licensing but I'm sure that'll never happen.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments