Windows Update will not work after Windows 10 2004 (OS Build 19041.450) update

Anonymous
2020-09-22T13:00:25+00:00

After upgrading PCs to the Windows 10 2004 build, Windows Update is giving the following message:  We couldn't connect to the update service.  We'll try again later, or you can check now.  If it still doesn't work, make sure you're connected to the Internet.

 I'm seeing these types of entries in the WindowsUpdate Log:

*FAILED* [80248014] GetServiceObject couldn't find service '855E8A7C-ECB4-4CA3-B045-1DFA50104289'.

2020/09/21 15:14:36.4156831 6468  3848  Agent           *FAILED* [80248014] Method failed [CAgentServiceManager::GetServiceObject:1980]

2020/09/21 15:14:36.4156857 6468  3848  Agent           *FAILED* [80248014] GetServiceObject couldn't find service '855E8A7C-ECB4-4CA3-B045-1DFA50104289'.

2020/09/21 15:14:36.4156873 6468  3848  Agent           *FAILED* [80248014] Method failed [CAgentServiceManager::GetServiceObject:1980]

2020/09/21 15:14:36.4156901 6468  3848  Agent           *FAILED* [80248014] Failed to resolve federated serviceId 855E8A7C-ECB4-4CA3-B045-1DFA50104289

2020/09/21 15:14:36.4156938 6468  3848  Agent           *FAILED* [80248014] Failed to execute service registration call {50E333F9-D535-4CDA-801E-F517D254AE95} (cV: BMWJ8+eA50uif6ci.1.0.1.0.1)

2020/09/21 15:14:36.4157054 6468  3848  IdleTimer       WU operation (SR.Update;ScanForUpdates ID 41, operation # 203) stopped; does use network; is not at background priority

2020/09/21 15:14:36.4368886 5892  7064  ComApi          * END *   Federated Search failed to process service registration, hr=0x80248014 (cV = BMWJ8+eA50uif6ci.1.0.1.0)

2020/09/21 15:14:36.4400323 5892  6244  ComApi          * START *   Federated Search ClientId = Update;ScanForUpdates (cV: BMWJ8+eA50uif6ci.1.0.2.0)

2020/09/21 15:14:36.4408406 6468  6492  IdleTimer       WU operation (SR.Update;ScanForUpdates ID 42) started; operation # 208; does use network; is not at background priority

2020/09/21 15:14:36.4409456 6468  3848  Agent           *FAILED* [80248014] GetServiceObject couldn't find service '855E8A7C-ECB4-4CA3-B045-1DFA50104289'.

2020/09/21 15:14:36.4409477 6468  3848  Agent           *FAILED* [80248014] Method failed [CAgentServiceManager::GetServiceObject:1980]

2020/09/21 15:14:36.4409489 6468  3848  Agent           Processing auto/pending service registrations and recovery.

2020/09/21 15:14:36.4505669 6468  3848  SLS             Get response for service 9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77 - forceExpire[False] asyncRefreshOnExpiry[False]

2020/09/21 15:14:36.4505711 6468  3848  SLS             path used for cache lookup: /SLS/{9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77}/x64/10.0.19041.450/0?CH=407&L=en-US;es-ES;fr-FR&P=&PT=0x30&WUA=10.0.19041.423&MK=Dell+Inc.&MD=Latitude+E5470

2020/09/21 15:14:36.4506188 6468  3848  SLS             Retrieving SLS response from server...

2020/09/21 15:14:36.4512418 6468  3848  SLS             Making request with URL HTTPS://slscr.update.microsoft.com/SLS/{9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77}/x64/10.0.19041.450/0?CH=407&L=en-US;es-ES;fr-FR&P=&PT=0x30&WUA=10.0.19041.423&MK=Dell+Inc.&MD=Latitude+E5470 and send SLS events.

2020/09/21 15:14:36.6960634 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] Send request

2020/09/21 15:14:36.6960687 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] WinHttp: SendRequestToServerForFileInformation (retrying with default proxy)

2020/09/21 15:14:36.9283262 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] Send request

2020/09/21 15:14:36.9283327 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] Library download error. Will retry. Retry Counter:0

2020/09/21 15:14:37.1717158 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] Send request

2020/09/21 15:14:37.1717212 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] WinHttp: SendRequestToServerForFileInformation (retrying with default proxy)

2020/09/21 15:14:37.4307260 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] Send request

2020/09/21 15:14:37.4307329 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] Library download error. Will retry. Retry Counter:1

2020/09/21 15:14:37.6832104 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] Send request

2020/09/21 15:14:37.6832156 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] WinHttp: SendRequestToServerForFileInformation (retrying with default proxy)

2020/09/21 15:14:37.9328046 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] Send request

2020/09/21 15:14:37.9328117 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] Library download error. Will retry. Retry Counter:2

2020/09/21 15:14:38.1681970 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] Send request

2020/09/21 15:14:38.1682041 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] WinHttp: SendRequestToServerForFileInformation (retrying with default proxy)

2020/09/21 15:14:38.4163067 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] Send request

2020/09/21 15:14:38.4163144 6468  3848  SLS             Complete the request URL HTTPS://slscr.update.microsoft.com/SLS/{9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77}/x64/10.0.19041.450/0?CH=407&L=en-US;es-ES;fr-FR&P=&PT=0x30&WUA=10.0.19041.423&MK=Dell+Inc.&MD=Latitude+E5470 with [80072F8F] and http status code[0] and send SLS events.

2020/09/21 15:14:38.4163191 6468  3848  SLS             *FAILED* [80072F8F] GetDownloadedOnWeakSSLCert

2020/09/21 15:14:38.4164068 6468  3848  SLS             *FAILED* [80072F8F] Method failed [CSLSClient::GetResponse:625]

2020/09/21 15:14:38.4164115 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] Method failed [CSLSEndpointProvider::GetWUClientData:2275]

2020/09/21 15:14:38.4164129 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] EP: get client data

2020/09/21 15:14:38.4164147 6468  3848  Misc            *FAILED* [80072F8F] Method failed [CSLSEndpointProvider::GetSecondaryServicesEnabledState:1689]

2020/09/21 15:14:38.4164174 6468  3848  Agent           *FAILED* [80072F8F] Method failed [CAgentServiceManager::DetectAndToggleServiceState:2910]

2020/09/21 15:14:38.4164214 6468  3848  Agent           *FAILED* [80072F8F] Failed to resolve federated serviceId 855E8A7C-ECB4-4CA3-B045-1DFA50104289

2020/09/21 15:14:38.4164259 6468  3848  Agent           *FAILED* [80072F8F] Failed to execute service registration call {519E9AED-2AC2-4CC5-87C8-6F1E2B991ED5} (cV: BMWJ8+eA50uif6ci.1.0.2.0.1)

Here are some of the troubleshooting steps I’ve done so far that haven’t worked:

  • Sfc /scannow
  • Dism /online /cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
  • Ran a Windows script to reset/clear Windows update.  Basically stops all the services, renames the WindowsUpdate folders (catroot2 & SoftwareDistribution) and then restarts the services

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

  • Ran the Windows Update Troubleshooter
  • Tried LAN and Wifi connections
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-10-27T13:17:27+00:00

    I'm wondering if there's a registry component for office that isn't getting removed when uninstalling after everything breaks.

    I did notice that the keys in the cscript ospp.vbs command showed that it was some random license key. Replacing this key with the correct one and running an online repair reverts the office license back to the incorrect key.

    I think I'm going to try and use Revo to remove office and eliminate any registry items along with it. I'll attempt to reinstall office after that and let you know what I get.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-10-19T15:35:53+00:00

    Still a great find either way. I can confirm that this solution worked for me as well.

    Let us know what you get when you're digging further for Office issues. I have a couple PCs with the licensing issue, luckily it's limited to just a couple. Most of our office programs are in a VDI, only a handful have local office installed.

    Still is just such an odd issue. Thanks for digging!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-10-19T14:11:55+00:00

    I started running registry comparisons when I applied KB4570721 preview update to a computer. I noticed it indicated changes within that registry area but I couldn't narrow down exactly what. There was just too much information and changes that I was trying to wade through but the moment I saw that pop up it took me back to my original thinking the certs must be messed up. Otherwise it would only be an issue affecting Windows update (if it were DNS, time clock, etc) or Office, not both at the same time.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-10-19T13:35:35+00:00

    Willing to bet it's something with the Trusted Root certs in registry as this was one of the ideas in terms of troubleshooting. I recall seeing updating root certs. Something must be off in the registry with that. I'll see if I can poke around in there specifically.

    I find it odd that after this is fixed, reinstalling office requires an in-place upgrade. Did you attempt an online repair after correcting the windows update issues or did you go straight for the OS upgrade?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-10-16T21:53:01+00:00

    I would say the preview updates normally should be skipped, but I actually have had successful installs of these on the machines before they broke.

    I've also had successful installs with the previews are machines that are running fine.

    It really just seems to be random at this point.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments