Coming back to my home network seems to have fixed the problem. Can't say for sure what the issue was, but it was network related somehow.
Windows Update is unable to check for updates, error 80072EE2
Today Windows Update told me that it hasn't been able to check for updates in the last 30 days. I attempted to check for updates manually and received an error (80072EE2). I used the Windows Update troubleshooter from Microsoft and found that there could be missing/corrupted files. I ran sfc /scannow and referred to the detail text file. It found that bootmgfw.efi.mui is missing. I don't know how to replace this file. I also used DISM, but because Windows Update isn't working, I can't replace the file that way.
The only times my computer runs into problems is when I run any sort of Windows Update (including trying to update virus definitions) and sometimes when I restart my computer (the screen stays dark for several minutes - more than it should).
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if there's anything I can attach to help figure out the source of the issue. The last time my laptop was able to receive Windows Updates was 5/26/14. Below are the bits from the detail file that show the MUI file as missing:
2014-06-24 19:12:40, Info CSI 00000096 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:32{16}]"bootmgfw.efi.mui" of Microsoft-Windows-BootEnvironment-Core-BootManager-EFI.Resources, Version = 6.3.9600.17031, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture = [l:10{5}]"en-GB", VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, file is missing
2014-06-24 19:12:42, Info CSI 00000098 [SR] Unable to repair \SystemRoot\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-b..nager-efi.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.3.9600.17031_en-gb_68408c0dc1958b90\[l:32{16}]"bootmgfw.efi.mui"
2014-06-24 19:12:42, Info CSI 00000099 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:32{16}]"bootmgfw.efi.mui" of Microsoft-Windows-BootEnvironment-Core-BootManager-EFI.Resources, Version = 6.3.9600.17031, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture = [l:10{5}]"en-GB", VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, file is missing
2014-06-24 19:24:58, Info CSI 00000834 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:32{16}]"bootmgfw.efi.mui" of Microsoft-Windows-BootEnvironment-Core-BootManager-EFI.Resources, Version = 6.3.9600.17031, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture = [l:10{5}]"en-GB", VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, file is missing
2014-06-24 19:24:58, Info CSI 00000835 [SR] Unable to repair \SystemRoot\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-b..nager-efi.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.3.9600.17031_en-gb_68408c0dc1958b90\[l:32{16}]"bootmgfw.efi.mui"
2014-06-24 19:24:58, Info CSI 00000836 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:32{16}]"bootmgfw.efi.mui" of Microsoft-Windows-BootEnvironment-Core-BootManager-EFI.Resources, Version = 6.3.9600.17031, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture = [l:10{5}]"en-GB", VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, file is missing
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
At this point I'm prepared to go through with a full reinstall...
You may wish to try a Refresh before doing a Reset (or a "full reinstall"). See http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc
Note: Chances are your computer has a hidden Recovery partition which would be used to do a Reset (AKA System Recovery) such that the "install disks" aren't necessary.
Note: A Refresh, Reset and a "full reinstall" will install Norton free-trial again (but invalid now). You will need to run the entire multi-step fix in my previous reply before you attempt to install any updates and before making sure Defender & the Windows Firewall are enabled.
Good luck!
39 additional answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2014-06-26T20:34:49+00:00 The Wi-Fi here is public (I'm in a dorm).
Did you move into the dorm on or shortly after 16 May?
Are any other students in your building (e.g., your roommate) seeing the same behavior?
Have you tried taking the laptop (I assume) elsewhere in the building or to another building on-campus (e.g., library) and running a manual check for updates there?
Have you contacted the school's SysAdmin or IT Department about this? Chances are they won't want an unpatched computer connecting to their network!
Did a Norton free-trial or a McAfee free-trial [PICK ONE] come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or activated it.)
-
Anonymous
2014-06-26T13:40:27+00:00 I notice you said you changed locations about a month ago. You also indicated you have not been able to check for updates for the last 30 days. I am assuming Windows Update is not blocked by your firewall or your network.
If you enter the following in your browser bar: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com are you able to access a page which gives you instructions as to how to find Windows Update using your Start Screen?
Network Adapter drivers can be an issue. You could do the following to see if this is the case:
Right click ‘This PC’ in File Explorer and choose 'Properties'
Click ‘Device Manager’
Select ‘Network Adapters’
Right click the adapter connecting the PC to the LAN or router
Select ‘Uninstall’
Reboot
The device should be recognized and will reinstall on boot.
You could also temporarily disable Windows Firewall
Search for 'Windows Firewall'
Select 'Turn Windows Firewall on or off'
Turn the Firewall off
Run Windows Update
Remember to Turn the Firewall on again as your computer is unprotected when the Firewall is off.
You could also connect your computer to another network and see if you can access Update from that network.
You may also want to review the 'WindowsUpdate.log' file located in the C:\Windows folder.
Some other troubleshooting steps are available from Microsoft here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/818018
-
Anonymous
2014-06-26T04:47:37+00:00 Here is what I receive when I manually check for updates:
I was referring to this article about DISM when trying to fix this issue earlier: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821/en-us
This is where I found the information about it using Windows Update: "Important When you run this command, DISM uses Windows Update to provide the files that are required to fix corruptions."
I wasn't sure if the update server being unavailable was a viable reason for this issue; this happened about a month ago. I received the same error message. It doesn't seem likely that the server would be unable to supply the download for a whole month.
The time appears to be synchronized. I moved a timezone about a month ago, but my computer has updated the time accordingly since then.
Here's what I receive when running the Windows Update troubleshooter:
This is what's under detailed information:
The results of this troubleshooter are what lead me to run sfc /scannow. That is when I found that the MUI file, bootmgfw.efi.mui, was missingfrom a specific location, not necessarily corrupted. I'm not sure if this missing file is the cause of this problem or not.