Windows Update is unable to check for updates, error 80072EE2

Anonymous
2014-06-25T02:51:09+00:00

Today Windows Update told me that it hasn't been able to check for updates in the last 30 days. I attempted to check for updates manually and received an error (80072EE2). I used the Windows Update troubleshooter from Microsoft and found that there could be missing/corrupted files. I ran sfc /scannow and referred to the detail text file. It found that bootmgfw.efi.mui is missing. I don't know how to replace this file. I also used DISM, but because Windows Update isn't working, I can't replace the file that way.

The only times my computer runs into problems is when I run any sort of Windows Update (including trying to update virus definitions) and sometimes when I restart my computer (the screen stays dark for several minutes - more than it should).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if there's anything I can attach to help figure out the source of the issue. The last time my laptop was able to receive Windows Updates was 5/26/14. Below are the bits from the detail file that show the MUI file as missing:

2014-06-24 19:12:40, Info                  CSI    00000096 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:32{16}]"bootmgfw.efi.mui" of Microsoft-Windows-BootEnvironment-Core-BootManager-EFI.Resources, Version = 6.3.9600.17031, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture = [l:10{5}]"en-GB", VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, file is missing

2014-06-24 19:12:42, Info                  CSI    00000098 [SR] Unable to repair \SystemRoot\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-b..nager-efi.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.3.9600.17031_en-gb_68408c0dc1958b90\[l:32{16}]"bootmgfw.efi.mui"

2014-06-24 19:12:42, Info                  CSI    00000099 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:32{16}]"bootmgfw.efi.mui" of Microsoft-Windows-BootEnvironment-Core-BootManager-EFI.Resources, Version = 6.3.9600.17031, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture = [l:10{5}]"en-GB", VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, file is missing

2014-06-24 19:24:58, Info                  CSI    00000834 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:32{16}]"bootmgfw.efi.mui" of Microsoft-Windows-BootEnvironment-Core-BootManager-EFI.Resources, Version = 6.3.9600.17031, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture = [l:10{5}]"en-GB", VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, file is missing

2014-06-24 19:24:58, Info                  CSI    00000835 [SR] Unable to repair \SystemRoot\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-b..nager-efi.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.3.9600.17031_en-gb_68408c0dc1958b90\[l:32{16}]"bootmgfw.efi.mui"

2014-06-24 19:24:58, Info                  CSI    00000836 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:32{16}]"bootmgfw.efi.mui" of Microsoft-Windows-BootEnvironment-Core-BootManager-EFI.Resources, Version = 6.3.9600.17031, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture = [l:10{5}]"en-GB", VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, file is missing

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-08-19T14:18:14+00:00

Coming back to my home network seems to have fixed the problem. Can't say for sure what the issue was, but it was network related somehow.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-06-27T18:13:24+00:00

At this point I'm prepared to go through with a full reinstall...

You may wish to try a Refresh before doing a Reset (or a "full reinstall"). See http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc

Note: Chances are your computer has a hidden Recovery partition which would be used to do a Reset (AKA System Recovery) such that the "install disks" aren't necessary.

Note: A Refresh, Reset and a "full reinstall" will install Norton free-trial again (but invalid now). You will need to run the entire multi-step fix in my previous reply before you attempt to install any updates and before making sure Defender & the Windows Firewall are enabled.

Good luck!

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

39 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-06-26T01:59:39+00:00

    When you manually check for Updates do you receive an error message? If so, what is displayed?

    I don't believe the Dism /RestoreHealth message relates to downloading missing files. Obviously you are able to access the internet so it does not appear to be a wireless router issue either. You indicated you have tried the Windows Update Troubleshooter. If the error message you are consistently receiving is 80072EE2 that is generally indicative of the update server being busy or unable to supply the download at the present time. You may also want to verify your time is synchronized by clicking on the time display in the lower right of your taskbar and making sure your time is correct as this can likewise interfere with updates. 

    If your time appears to be ok I would suggest you once again try the troubleshooter available at the top of this link:http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/troubleshoot-problems-installing-updates#1TC=windows-8

    Please advise us as to the results of the troubleshooter.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-06-26T01:35:34+00:00

    Q: Wi-Fi as in "the computer connects wirelessly via a router that's connected to an ADSL or cable modem" or Wi-Fi as in "the computer connects via a mobile wireless (USB) modem?" If the former, who owns the router?

    A: I'm not sure of either.

    Let us know when you find out. It's an integral part of your problem.

    I should be able to look into it soon; I'll certainly let you know when I find out. The Wi-Fi here is public (I'm in a dorm).

    Bashir, here is the result of the DISM /RestoreHealth:

    C:\WINDOWS\system32>DISM /online /cleanup-image /RestoreHealth

    Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool

    Version: 6.3.9600.17031

    Image Version: 6.3.9600.17031

    [==========================100.0%==========================]

    Error: 0x800f0906

    The source files could not be downloaded.

    Use the "source" option to specify the location of the files th

    o restore the feature. For more information on specifying a sou

     http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.

    The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log

    As I mentioned before, I don't think this process works because Windows Update is responsible for downloading any missing files, and I'm currently unable to use it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-06-25T23:35:47+00:00

    Q: Wi-Fi as in "the computer connects wirelessly via a router that's connected to an ADSL or cable modem" or Wi-Fi as in "the computer connects via a mobile wireless (USB) modem?" If the former, who owns the router?

    A: I'm not sure of either.

    Let us know when you find out. It's an integral part of your problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments