Windows Update is unable to check for updates, error 80072EE2

Anonymous
2014-06-25T02:51:09+00:00

Today Windows Update told me that it hasn't been able to check for updates in the last 30 days. I attempted to check for updates manually and received an error (80072EE2). I used the Windows Update troubleshooter from Microsoft and found that there could be missing/corrupted files. I ran sfc /scannow and referred to the detail text file. It found that bootmgfw.efi.mui is missing. I don't know how to replace this file. I also used DISM, but because Windows Update isn't working, I can't replace the file that way.

The only times my computer runs into problems is when I run any sort of Windows Update (including trying to update virus definitions) and sometimes when I restart my computer (the screen stays dark for several minutes - more than it should).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if there's anything I can attach to help figure out the source of the issue. The last time my laptop was able to receive Windows Updates was 5/26/14. Below are the bits from the detail file that show the MUI file as missing:

2014-06-24 19:12:40, Info                  CSI    00000096 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:32{16}]"bootmgfw.efi.mui" of Microsoft-Windows-BootEnvironment-Core-BootManager-EFI.Resources, Version = 6.3.9600.17031, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture = [l:10{5}]"en-GB", VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, file is missing

2014-06-24 19:12:42, Info                  CSI    00000098 [SR] Unable to repair \SystemRoot\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-b..nager-efi.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.3.9600.17031_en-gb_68408c0dc1958b90\[l:32{16}]"bootmgfw.efi.mui"

2014-06-24 19:12:42, Info                  CSI    00000099 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:32{16}]"bootmgfw.efi.mui" of Microsoft-Windows-BootEnvironment-Core-BootManager-EFI.Resources, Version = 6.3.9600.17031, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture = [l:10{5}]"en-GB", VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, file is missing

2014-06-24 19:24:58, Info                  CSI    00000834 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:32{16}]"bootmgfw.efi.mui" of Microsoft-Windows-BootEnvironment-Core-BootManager-EFI.Resources, Version = 6.3.9600.17031, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture = [l:10{5}]"en-GB", VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, file is missing

2014-06-24 19:24:58, Info                  CSI    00000835 [SR] Unable to repair \SystemRoot\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-b..nager-efi.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.3.9600.17031_en-gb_68408c0dc1958b90\[l:32{16}]"bootmgfw.efi.mui"

2014-06-24 19:24:58, Info                  CSI    00000836 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:32{16}]"bootmgfw.efi.mui" of Microsoft-Windows-BootEnvironment-Core-BootManager-EFI.Resources, Version = 6.3.9600.17031, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture = [l:10{5}]"en-GB", VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, file is missing

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-08-19T14:18:14+00:00

Coming back to my home network seems to have fixed the problem. Can't say for sure what the issue was, but it was network related somehow.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-06-27T18:13:24+00:00

At this point I'm prepared to go through with a full reinstall...

You may wish to try a Refresh before doing a Reset (or a "full reinstall"). See http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc

Note: Chances are your computer has a hidden Recovery partition which would be used to do a Reset (AKA System Recovery) such that the "install disks" aren't necessary.

Note: A Refresh, Reset and a "full reinstall" will install Norton free-trial again (but invalid now). You will need to run the entire multi-step fix in my previous reply before you attempt to install any updates and before making sure Defender & the Windows Firewall are enabled.

Good luck!

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

39 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-08-06T01:09:22+00:00

    I was able to delete the .edb file. I followed the rest of the instructions and was still unsuccessful. I'll try it again when I'm on my home network. I've discovered that a friend here has the same problem trying to use Windows services (update, virus definitions, Widows store).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-08-05T22:03:49+00:00

    just had the same error code.

    went into C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download

    and deleted everything there.

    then in \DataStore

    deleted DataStore.edb then into \Logs and deleted everything in there

    restarted pc

    retried windows update got another error.

    went to run and put in

    services.msc

    in the list found windows update and right click stopped it, then start.

    restarted the service

    tried again... viola its working. might be worth a shot

    I'm having trouble deleting DataStore.edb and one file that's in that log folder. The dialogue box tells me it's open in Application Information. Is there a way to end that process so I can delete it?

    Before deleting DataStore.edb you will need to stop Windows update service and BITS service.

    Run the following from an elevated (Admin) command prompt:

    net stop wuauserv

    net stop bits

    To start services after deleting "DataStore.edb", run the following from an elevated (Admin) command prompt:

    net start wuauserv

    net start bits

    or alternatively reboot your computer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-08-05T19:47:12+00:00

    I'm sure the ever-helpful Bashir Shihab AKA 765432109876 will return to your thread to assist you, Ariel.

    In the meantime...

    Your computer should NOT be connected to the internet or any local networks (i.e., other computers) in its current state. All of your personal data (e.g., online banking & credit-card passwords) should be considered at-risk, if not already compromised.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments