Windows Update is unable to check for updates, error 80072EE2

Anonymous
2014-06-25T02:51:09+00:00

Today Windows Update told me that it hasn't been able to check for updates in the last 30 days. I attempted to check for updates manually and received an error (80072EE2). I used the Windows Update troubleshooter from Microsoft and found that there could be missing/corrupted files. I ran sfc /scannow and referred to the detail text file. It found that bootmgfw.efi.mui is missing. I don't know how to replace this file. I also used DISM, but because Windows Update isn't working, I can't replace the file that way.

The only times my computer runs into problems is when I run any sort of Windows Update (including trying to update virus definitions) and sometimes when I restart my computer (the screen stays dark for several minutes - more than it should).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if there's anything I can attach to help figure out the source of the issue. The last time my laptop was able to receive Windows Updates was 5/26/14. Below are the bits from the detail file that show the MUI file as missing:

2014-06-24 19:12:40, Info                  CSI    00000096 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:32{16}]"bootmgfw.efi.mui" of Microsoft-Windows-BootEnvironment-Core-BootManager-EFI.Resources, Version = 6.3.9600.17031, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture = [l:10{5}]"en-GB", VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, file is missing

2014-06-24 19:12:42, Info                  CSI    00000098 [SR] Unable to repair \SystemRoot\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-b..nager-efi.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.3.9600.17031_en-gb_68408c0dc1958b90\[l:32{16}]"bootmgfw.efi.mui"

2014-06-24 19:12:42, Info                  CSI    00000099 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:32{16}]"bootmgfw.efi.mui" of Microsoft-Windows-BootEnvironment-Core-BootManager-EFI.Resources, Version = 6.3.9600.17031, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture = [l:10{5}]"en-GB", VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, file is missing

2014-06-24 19:24:58, Info                  CSI    00000834 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:32{16}]"bootmgfw.efi.mui" of Microsoft-Windows-BootEnvironment-Core-BootManager-EFI.Resources, Version = 6.3.9600.17031, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture = [l:10{5}]"en-GB", VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, file is missing

2014-06-24 19:24:58, Info                  CSI    00000835 [SR] Unable to repair \SystemRoot\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-b..nager-efi.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.3.9600.17031_en-gb_68408c0dc1958b90\[l:32{16}]"bootmgfw.efi.mui"

2014-06-24 19:24:58, Info                  CSI    00000836 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:32{16}]"bootmgfw.efi.mui" of Microsoft-Windows-BootEnvironment-Core-BootManager-EFI.Resources, Version = 6.3.9600.17031, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture = [l:10{5}]"en-GB", VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, file is missing

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-08-19T14:18:14+00:00

Coming back to my home network seems to have fixed the problem. Can't say for sure what the issue was, but it was network related somehow.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-06-27T18:13:24+00:00

At this point I'm prepared to go through with a full reinstall...

You may wish to try a Refresh before doing a Reset (or a "full reinstall"). See http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc

Note: Chances are your computer has a hidden Recovery partition which would be used to do a Reset (AKA System Recovery) such that the "install disks" aren't necessary.

Note: A Refresh, Reset and a "full reinstall" will install Norton free-trial again (but invalid now). You will need to run the entire multi-step fix in my previous reply before you attempt to install any updates and before making sure Defender & the Windows Firewall are enabled.

Good luck!

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

39 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-06-26T22:59:41+00:00

    I want to say Norton came on it as a free trial.

    1. When (approx. date) did you purchase the computer?
    2. Did you (a) uninstall the Norton free-trial AND THEN (b) download/run the Norton Removal Tool & reboot (c) BEFORE you enabled Windows Defender and the Windows Firewall?
    • Fact: Norton (and McAfee) applications are notorious for not uninstalling (or upgrading) cleanly. The "leftovers" may be your troublemaker here.
    1. Are you in the habit of using "Registry cleaners" (e.g., Registry Mechanic; System Mechanic; RegCure; RegClean Pro; Advanced SystemCare; Registry Booster; McAfee QuickClean; Glary Utilities; AVG PC TuneUp; Norton Registry Cleaner; Norton PC Tuneup; PC Optimiser; SpeedUpMyPC; PC Doctor; TuneUp Utilities; WinMaximizer; WinSweeper; Comodo System Cleaner; Advanced System Optimizer; CCleaner's Registry Cleaner component)?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-06-26T21:33:20+00:00

    I moved into the dorm on May 19th.

    No other students are experiencing this issue that I'm aware of, but they may not know to look for this problem.

    I've taken the laptop to another building on this campus and I receive the same result.

    I haven't contacted IT yet, but I will shortly to see if they have any information that could help me sort this out.

    I want to say Norton came on it as a free trial.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-06-26T21:31:36+00:00

    I'm able to access the web page.

    I uninstalled the network adapter and rebooted; no change.

    I disabled Windows Firewall; no change.

    I'm using another network on the campus, but I'm not having any luck.

    I also pulled up the log file. I'm not sure what information is relevant, but here's an excerpt:

    2014-06-26 15:21:15:857 440 1eb8 SLS Retrieving SLS response from server...

    2014-06-26 15:21:15:857 440 1eb8 SLS Making request with URL HTTPS://sls.update.microsoft.com/SLS/{9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77}/x64/6.3.9600.0/0?CH=152&L=en-US&P=&PT=0x65&WUA=7.9.9600.17093

    2014-06-26 15:21:34:799 440 1eb8 Misc WARNING: Send failed with hr = 80072ee2.

    2014-06-26 15:21:34:799 440 1eb8 Misc WARNING: Proxy List used: <(null)> Bypass List used : <(null)> Auth Schemes used : <None>

    2014-06-26 15:21:34:799 440 1eb8 Misc WARNING: Send request failed, hr:0x80072ee2

    2014-06-26 15:21:34:799 440 1eb8 Misc WARNING: WinHttp: SendRequestUsingProxy failed for <HTTPS://sls.update.microsoft.com/SLS/{9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77}/x64/6.3.9600.0/0?CH=152&L=en-US&P=&PT=0x65&WUA=7.9.9600.17093>. error 0x80072ee2

    2014-06-26 15:21:34:799 440 1eb8 Misc WARNING: WinHttp: SendRequestToServerForFileInformation MakeRequest failed. error 0x80072ee2

    2014-06-26 15:21:34:799 440 1eb8 Misc WARNING: WinHttp: SendRequestToServerForFileInformation failed with 0x80072ee2

    2014-06-26 15:21:34:799 440 1eb8 Misc WARNING: WinHttp: ShouldFileBeDownloaded failed with 0x80072ee2

    2014-06-26 15:21:34:799 440 1eb8 SLS FATAL: SLS:CSLSDownloader::GetUrlContent: DoFileDownload failed with 0x80072ee2.

    2014-06-26 15:21:34:799 440 1eb8 SLS FATAL: GetResponse failed with hresult 0x80072ee2...

    2014-06-26 15:21:34:799 440 1eb8 EP FATAL: EP: CSLSEndpointProvider::GetWUClientData - failed to get SLS data, error = 0x80072EE2

    2014-06-26 15:21:34:799 440 1eb8 EP FATAL: EP: CSLSEndpointProvider::GetSecondaryServicesEnabledState - Failed to get client data, error = 0x80072EE2

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments