Surface Pro 7 Randomly Shutting Down

Anonymous
2020-02-11T17:37:21+00:00

Hello,

I bought a Surface Pro 7 last week and it was having a problem where it was randomly shutting off (like the screen goes to black and then when I start it up, it boots up like normal). When I open the computer back up, anything I had opened is closed. I went and returned it for a new one, thinking that I had a buggy laptop. This new one is having the same problems too. I updated when I first got it and I did the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit, which said that everything is working fine. I also changed the sleep settings and that didn't help. I posted the reliability history that I have gotten.

Thank you.

Surface | Surface Pro | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-02-28T04:10:51+00:00

    I have this same issue. Looking at my reliability history, it appears to have started after an update on 2/5. I've barely touched my Surface -- which I *just* got at Christmas time! -- because of all the issues I've had over the past 2 months. I am highly disappointed in this product and wish I would have spent the money on an updated Dell 2-in-1 instead. 

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-02-21T16:27:39+00:00

    I have the same problem, i have a ticket open with microsoft, regarding this, and i have been told they are trying to work it, so just leave plugged in, which is not why i bought this, and then was told to try and refresh windows, which failed, and now have lost office.  Along with now my screen is doing the lighter darker flashes.  I am so frustrated that this is a week old, and nothing but problems, and answers i get is we are trying to work, but it does me no good, if don't have programs, and have to be plugged in to keep it from shutting down

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-02-18T22:23:13+00:00

    Hello, StevenW1989.

    We are truly sorry for the troubles you've encountered with the Surface Pro 7 experiencing unexpected shutdown. We appreciate the time you've given here to let us know about this. Rest assured, we are coordinating this with our internal team and looking into this matter with them. 

    Regards,

    Janette_Z

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-02-18T13:30:10+00:00

    So is anyone already looking at this? This is taking way too long - a lot of users with new devices are having these issues. I'm really thinking about returning mine as the device is useless for me if it can only be used on the charger.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments